The Mariners stumbled out of the break with a disappointing series loss to the Tigers, making all of the LL staffers look quite silly for predicting a strong second half for the team. But baseball marches on, and so too do the links.
In Mariners news:
- The Mariners avoided a sweep by the Tigers yesterday, so that’s good, even if the vibes this weekend were not. Zach Mason has the recap for you in case you missed it.
- In case you missed it, Jonatan Clase passed the 50 stolen base mark this weekend. His career high is 55 and he’ll easily pass that, as after stealing two bases to reach the half-century mark in a game on Saturday, he stole another two on Sunday to put him at 52. He trails Victor Scott II, who also plays in the Texas League for the Springfield Cardinals, who has 55, and Rays prospect Chandler Simpson, who has a whopping 66, although it should be noted that Clase also has 16 homers and 20 doubles to Scott’s 3 and 10, and Chandler’s 0 and 7.
- Everett’s new pair of players, Gabriel González and Cole Young, seem to be settling in well in Everett after being promoted from Modesto. On Sunday, Young went 4-for-5 with a home run as Everett battled back from a three-run deficit to win on a Gabby González walkoff single. If you’re able to get to Everett, run don’t walk, because even with the graduation of Alberto Rodríguez, the Sox boast a stacked lineup of many of Seattle’s top prospects, and you have a rare opportunity to see them up close.
- Speaking of our boy Berto, he recorded his first Double-A hit yesterday, and it was a big one, breaking up a no-hitter in the sixth inning:
Alberto Rodríguez's first hit at Double-A is an RBI single that also happens to break up a no-hitter in the sixth for the Travs. pic.twitter.com/x1Cjdj4nGy— Lookout Landing (@LookoutLanding) July 16, 2023
Around the league:
- If you have time to read one story today make it this one about Jatnk Díaz, Detroit’s eighth-round pick in this year’s draft.
- Former Mariner Ben Gamel has been traded from the Rays to the Padres. We’re just happy for another chance to use the Gamel Guns in the TATC uniforms, the best Seattle Mariners uniforms of all time.
If you listen to the pod you know that MacDougall Bat Company was our first-ever real sponsor who stepped forward and helped us out after we lost our site-affiliated monetization as part of Vox/SBN’s cost-saving measures. We try to keep things light and fun but the podcast is a fair amount of work between planning shows, coordinating times to record, and Evan’s audio wizardry and publishing and promoting, so getting compensated—even a little bit!—for that work means a lot for us. Anyway, if you’re in the market for a baseball bat, please consider MacDougall Bat Co., and use the code GOMS for $20 off your purchase (which comes back to us!). And don’t just take it from us: these bats get results! Congratulations Carson, and best of luck in future tournaments, may you march into them strong with your MacDougall bat held proudly aloft!
First wood bat tournament of the season. 7/13 with 2B, ☝️3B & ☝️little league HR(2B). Headed out on the road to Pendleton & Portland w/the Toro fam this week. @JPFasone1 @c_watson_24 @DrivelineBB @MtnViewMavs1 @PBR_Idaho @BaseballNW @Its_GTS pic.twitter.com/aAf4VhiCbz— Carson Lupton (@cjlupton4) July 17, 2023