Good morning everyone and happy Thursday! We’ve got just one more day until Mariners baseball returns. Let’s dig into the latest news from around the league as the All-Star Break comes to a close.
In Mariners news...
- Mariners organizational pitching coordinator Max Weiner has officially left the org to join Texas A&M as their new pitching coach.
- The hot stove is warming up!
Pitcher Adam Oller has been claimed by the the Seattle Mainers. Was recently placed on outright waivers by the A’s.— Jessica Kleinschmidt (@KleinschmidtJD) July 12, 2023
Around the league...
- Top A’s position prospects Tyler Soderstrom (first base) and Zack Gelof (second base) are being called up to the big leagues to make their debuts on Friday.
- The Yankees will be wearing a new jersey patch on their sleeve, courtesy of Starr Insurance.
- Major League Baseball has unveiled plans to play games in four countries next year: Korea, Britain, Mexico, and the Dominican Republic.
- Eno Sarris at The Athletic spoke to a number of pitchers, including George Kirby, about the adjustments they made that turned them into All-Stars. ($)
- Baseball Prospectus updated their top 50 prospects in baseball now that the draft has concluded. ($)
- Patrick Dubuque at BP explains the unique joys of playing Immaculate Grid. ($)
- Now that we’re halfway through the season, Mike Petriello outlines the players who have been most helped and most hurt by the banning of the shift.
- I guess the Mariners have been pretty successful when it comes to drafting!
The last 10 years of drafts - % of each MLB team's picks that made it to the majors (for any team) pic.twitter.com/skAf1T6vWN— Jay Cuda (@JayCuda) July 12, 2023
- Corbin Carroll is the absolute man.
Corbin Carroll quietly did a meet and greet this afternoon for my kid’s little league, which Corbin is an alum of. He took the time for a photo, autograph, and conversation with every kid, and I was just so struck by how kind it was. pic.twitter.com/6o7gE3vOtB— Brittney Bush Bollay (@BrittneyBush) July 13, 2023
- I love this. Why are so many baseball players obsessed with geography?
We asked baseball's best what they know best at All-Star Media Day! pic.twitter.com/CrlygVRzJk— MLB (@MLB) July 12, 2023
- I guess we know what Ozzie Albies’ hobby is.
This is what Ozzie Albies was doing on the flight home from Seattle— Talkin’ Baseball (@TalkinBaseball_) July 13, 2023
(via andreia.albies/IG) pic.twitter.com/lqdAFSdnC8
- Desiree, a beloved member of the Mariners fan community, recently passed away from cancer. If you are able, please consider donating to a fundraiser set up in her honor to help raise awareness for ovarian cancer in children and adults.