The Mariners’ east coast road swing continues as we enter the weekend. Let’s kick things off with the latest from around baseball.
In Mariners news...
- Justus Sheffield has officially been cut from the organization. The left-hander was sporting an 14.04 ERA with 11.88 BB/9 in 8.1 innings in Tacoma this season.
RHP Stephen Kolek is being promoted to Tacoma from Double-A Arkansas, prior to tonight's game at Las Vegas. LHP Justus Sheffield was released. #Mariners— Paul Braverman (@PaulBraverman) April 27, 2023
- Jay Jaffe at Fangraphs wonders how Robbie Ray’s absence will impact the Mariners this season.
- Ahead of the M’s return to Toronto, Corey Brock and Kaitlyn McGrath of The Athletic reminisce about the crazy Wild Card series finale from last fall. ($)
Around the league...
- Mike Petriello introduced a new Statcast metric that can track how effective catchers are at preventing steals.
- Anthony Franco at MLB Trade Rumors dives into the struggles the Angels starting rotation is having and what the team can do about it.
- Aaron Judge exited a game against the Rangers yesterday due to hip discomfort.
- Infielder Daniel Murphy, who had previously announced his retirement three years ago, is attempting a comeback with the Independent Long Island Ducks.
- Ben Clemens at Fangraphs tries to figure out what the heck is going on with Jays starter José Berríos.
- Shohei Ohtani came up just short of becoming the first-ever player to hit for the cycle while serving as the game’s starting pitcher.
- Justice delos Santos reports that Carlos Santana’s and Andrew McCutchen’s leadership helped fuel the Pirates’ unlikely run to the top of the NL Central.