Good morning everyone and happy April! Let’s dive into it.
In Mariners news...
- In case you missed it, the Mariners added some more infield depth.
Welcome to the PNW, Nick Solak!— Seattle Mariners (@Mariners) March 31, 2023
We have acquired the INF/OF from the Cincinnati Reds in exchange for cash considerations. Solak will be optioned to Triple-A Tacoma.
Around the league...
- The Minor League Players’ Union approved their first-ever collective bargaining agreement! One thing I didn’t realize was that before now, minor leaguers could not earn money on their name, image, and likeness.
- The Padres have agreed to a seven-year contract extension with infielder Jake Cronenworth.
- Rumor has it that the Pirates and outfielder Bryan Reynolds have made significant progress towards a contract extension, but talks have hit a snag as the two debate over whether or not to include an opt-out clause.
- After their Opening Day loss to the A’s, Angels third baseman Anthony Rendon got into a brief altercation with a fan. The league is investigating the incident.
- Yeah, those are some pretty bad fits.
- There are 14 total players who could win their teams extra draft picks by winning Rookie of the Year this year, as Julio did for the Mariners last season.
- The Brewers are calling up top outfield prospect Joey Wiemer.
- The Diamondbacks have acquired former Mariners lefty bullpen arm Anthony Misiewicz from the Cardinals.
- Today I learned that The Big Unit does photography. Awesome!
- Bring back team captains in baseball!