Hello everyone! It may be college hoops season, but we’re still locked into the world of baseball. Onto the news!
In Mariners news...
- Julioooooooo! Helping out his pal Diego Castillo, too!
- Those weren’t the only Mariners who came up big in the WBC yesterday...
Around the league...
- In an incredible game, Puerto Rico knocked off the Dominican Republic 5-2 to eliminate the DR from the tournament. Tragically, Edwin Díaz was injured in the celebration and had to be wheeled off the field.
- In the first game of the World Baseball Classic quarterfinals, Team Cuba knocked off Team Australia to advance to the semis.
- Continuing his series on notable Black baseball players and families, Pat Ellington, Jr. profiled Maury & Bump Wills.
- Stephanie Apstein of Sports Illustrated notes that the Yankees players and coaches don’t get...in-flight WiFi?
- A group of Puerto Rican baseball fans broke a Guiness World Record by getting their hair bleached to support their team.
- Alex Eisert at Fangraphs wrote about Miguel Vargas’ strange streak of 12 plate appearances without swinging the bat.
- Rangers right-hander Jake Odorizzi will begin the season on the injured list with arm fatigue.