Good morning everyone! Let’s dive into the latest.
In Mariners news...
- With a 2-1 loss to Team Mexico last night, Harry Ford and Team Great Britain have been eliminated from the tournament. However, Harry is already a British legend.
This is too good ❤️— FOX Sports: MLB (@MLBONFOX) March 15, 2023
Harry Ford and this Great Britain team are creating some young baseball fans across the pond ⚾️ pic.twitter.com/CJSjr9uwuY
- Speaking of ‘arry, Clinton Yates at Andscape wrote about the revolutionary performance of the young catcher this World Baseball Classic.
- Learn the unique story behind Luis Castillo’s nickname.
Luis Castillo was "La Piedra" before he was even born.— Jake García (@Jake_M_Garcia) March 14, 2023
In a 1-on-1 sitdown in Spanish, he told me when his mom was pregnant with him, her mom would put pebbles on her head to ease the pain.
It's a cultural belief that goes back generations.
The nickname has stuck ever since. pic.twitter.com/1YTuFs0zoF
- Corey Brock at The Athletic spoke to Mariners brass about Bryce Miller’s rise to prospect stardom in M’s camp. ($)
Around the league...
- The 19-year-old right-hander is the first-ever Orthodox Jewish player drafted by an MLB team, and he certainly held his own against the Dominican Republic.
here's a full string of the Jacob Steinmetz highlights for your viewing pleasure pic.twitter.com/qSVNfUWs4h— Israel Baseball (@ILBaseball) March 15, 2023
- Mike Axisa at CBS Sports ranked all 30 teams by how much pressure there is on them to win the World Series this year.
- Patrick Dubuque at Baseball Prospectus gave his unique take on the pitch clock’s role in baseball. ($)
- In case you missed it, this kid struck out Juan Soto, Julio Rodríguez, and Manny Machado and was promptly scooped up by the Tigers afterwards. His joy is contagious.
- Mets starter José Quintana is suffering from a fractured rib that will keep him out of action for at least half of the season.
- Young Nationals right-hander Cade Cavalli left his spring start with elbow discomfort. He will receive an MRI today.
- A pitcher for the Czech Republic team who is an electrician by day struck out Shohei Ohtani and asked for his jersey afterwards.
- Following drawn-out negotiations with Sony, A League of Their Own will finish off the series with a four-episode second season.