Hello folks and happy Friday! Let’s check in on the world of baseball.
In Mariners news...
- Welcome back, Leonys! He had a pretty poor season in Japan last year, so I have to wonder if they’re prepping him for a role within the organization.
Old friend alert: the Mariners have signed veteran outfielder Leonys Martin to a minor league contract with a non-roster invite to spring training. He’s been playing in Japan for Chiba Lotte since mid-2019.— Ryan Divish (@RyanDivish) February 9, 2023
Around the league...
- The full slate of World Baseball Classic rosters were officially announced yesterday. There are some real throwback names among these squads. The first game kicks off on March 7th.
- The San Diego Padres have agreed to a six-year contract extension with right-hander Yu Darvish, keeping him in town through his age-42 season.
- This is crazy.
Number of teams located in the yellow region of the map— Jay Cuda (@JayCuda) February 9, 2023
MLB 1 pic.twitter.com/zfp4tsHxB9
- Zach Buchanan at The Athletic got scouts’ takes on the radar gun and what it’s like to use such a tool while on the job. ($)
- I thought Jerry Dipoto was a transparent GM, but I don’t think he’s ever telegraphed this kind of thing before.
Dana Brown says the Astros are making progress on an extension for Cristian Javier & he’s working on an extension for Kyle Tucker as well. Both players are going through arbitration hearings while all of this is going on. On Javier Dana says: “We feel really good about that one.” pic.twitter.com/mN6yVccl0c— Mark Berman (@MarkBermanFox26) February 9, 2023