Good morning everyone! As the Winter Meetings wrap up today, here’s what happened yesterday.
In Mariners news...
- I’m obligated to post this but I don’t think there’s anything to this report. It would be very weird of the team to dump a ton of payroll only to commit it all to one player.
Around the league...
- The biggest news yesterday came last night when the Yankees and Red Sox came together on a rare swap, sending outfielder Alex Verdugo to the Bronx.
- As expected, Atlanta flipped Marco Gonzales, dealing him to the Pirates for cash considerations or a PTBNL.
- The award for the biggest contract signed at the Winter Meetings (so far) goes to former Nationals starter and reigning KBO MVP Erick Fedde, who inked a two-year, $15M contract with the White Sox.
- In the second biggest deal of the meetings, catcher Victor Caratini inked a two-year, $12M deal with the Astros.
- Right-handed reliever Kirby Yates has agreed to a one-year deal with the Rangers.
- Righty reliever Chris Devenski has re-signed with the Rays on a one-year contract.
- The Angels signed right-hander Luis García to a one-year deal.
- We got a couple of Shohei Ohtani updates yesterday, with Dodgers manager Dave Roberts admitting that the team met with the free agent’s representatives recently (which he was then reprimanded for). We also now know the Cubs have reportedly been priced out.
- The Hall of Fame will honor the Negro Leagues with an East-West All-Star Game in Cooperstown between former baseball greats, with Ozzie Smith and Ken Griffey, Jr. set to coach.
- Speaking of Cody Bellinger, Esteban Rivera at Fangraphs analyzed the outfielder’s hitting approach this year to see how sustainable it is.
- This is something to monitor...