Good morning, foLLks, and Happy New Year’s Eve! Whatever you have planned, we hope you have a fun and safe night.
In Mariners news:
- Julio Rodríguez’s birthday was this past Friday, and a fellow standout Seattle athlete was present for the festivities.
Riq Woolen at Julio’s birthday party. Idk how they became friends but I love it. pic.twitter.com/2xpeHwrmPK— britt (@brittanyanne08_) December 30, 2023
Around the league:
- The Red Sox and Braves struck a major deal, with Chris Sale headed to Atlanta in exchange for prized infield prospect Vaughn Grissom. Boston is predictably eating a significant chunk of Sale’s contract, and hey, I guess Alex Cora needs to figure out a new Opening Day starter in Seattle.
- Righty Frankie Montas has signed a one-year with the Reds for $16 million. Montas missed nearly all of 2023 recovering from arthroscopic shoulder surgery, and while that price tag may raise some eyebrows, it could end up being a steal if he can return to form.
- The Blue Jays seem to be trying their hardest to acquire all of the utility infielders, with Ben Nicholson-Smith reporting they have interest in free agent Gio Urshela.
- The Angels have signed Zach Plesac to a big league deal.
- Curious as to what the endgame was for these two.