Good morning everyone, welcome to the weekend! It’s the weekend before the Winter Meetings, so things are likely to get really interesting now. Here’s what is happening around the league.
In Mariners news...
- The Mariners cleared a couple of 40-man roster spots with Cooper Hummel being claimed off waivers by the Mets and Kaleb Ort being claimed by the Marlins.
- Special Rainiers gear is now available!
This 2024 season will mark the 30th anniversary of our affiliation with the Seattle Mariners. In celebration, we have released the original 1995 teal jersey. Get yours now, or R other 90's styled gear.https://t.co/ayp71dWAZM pic.twitter.com/10GnBcIY0R— Tacoma Rainiers (@RainiersLand) December 1, 2023
- J.P. Crawford is back at the lab.
Around the league...
- Jeff Passan at ESPN previewed the winter meetings in a mega-article at ESPN. A couple of notable points was that the Rangers, Mets, and Red Sox have seemingly been eliminated from the Shohei Ohtani sweepstakes, with a signing expected to be announced within the next few days. He also echoes reports that the Mariners don’t appear to be in on Ohtani, while adding that they also don’t seem wildly interested in Juan Soto. ($)
- Soto trade talks continue between the Yankees, and we now know what names are being discussed between the two clubs. However, the Blue Jays remain involved in conversations as well.
- Should Shane Bieber be traded this winter, the right-hander is reportedly open to discussing a contract extension with the club that acquires him.
- The Marlins have brought Gabe Kapler aboard as an assistant general manager.
- Steve Cohen has hired former Bloomberg CEO M. Scott Havens to run the business side of the Mets organization.
- The Washington football team won a thrilling 34-31 game over Oregon in the Pac-12 title game, securing a 13-0 season for the Huskies and a spot in the college football playoff.