Good morning, foLLks, and happy Sunday!
In Mariners news:
- Jon Morosi’s content machine keeps spinning, this time linking the M’s to free agent slugger Rhys Hoskins. The geographical connection is, uh, a bit of a stretch, though.
Mariners have shown interest in Rhys Hoskins, among other free-agent power hitters.— Jon Morosi (@jonmorosi) December 16, 2023
Hoskins, 30, was born and raised in Northern California, so geography could help Seattle in this case. @MLBNetwork @MLB
- This account often will post screenshots and videos from the 20th century, but this post harkened back to the start of the rebuild. Ryon Healy notched the only hit for the Mariners in an 11-0 drubbing by the Cubs.
Around the league:
- The market for star NPB pitcher Yoshinobu Yamamoto continues to catch fire, with Jim Bowden reporting both the Red Sox and the Giants have upped their offers to over $300 million for the righty’s services.
- The Giants are also setting their sights on another Japanese starting pitcher, though adjust for Morosi.
- Outfielder Victor Reyes is taking his talents to the KBO, signing with the Lotte Giants. Reyes spent last year in Triple-A with the White Sox org after serving as a bench outfielder for Tigers in the previous five seasons, and will make $950K in 2024 per Jeeho Yoo.
- The first three animated Mickey Mouse cartoons, most famous of them Steamboat Willie, are set to enter the public domain on January 1st. While newer version of Mickey will remain protected by copyright, we should brace ourselves for a LLongtime tradition to get some more coverage.
This is what scares me about if Mickey becomes public domain next year lol pic.twitter.com/Ui4K99EQMp— Dre Higbee (@DreHigbee) December 16, 2023
- The older I get, the more it becomes obvious where Calvin gets it from.