Hello everyone! As we get this Thursday started, here’s what you need to know.
In Mariners news...
- One of the Mariners main draft and development people has been poached by Miami. Was this the price for Seattle hiring Brant Brown?
Miami Marlins are hiring Frankie Piliere as their new Director of Amateur Scouting per sources. Piliere was the Assistant Director of Amateur Scouting with the Seattle Mariners.— Craig Mish (@CraigMish) December 13, 2023
- As prophesied, the 2024 Mariners ZiPS projections came in full on Fangraphs.
Around the league...
- The Shohei Ohtani contract is getting stranger and stranger — we now know that the two-way superstar can opt out of his contract at any point if Dodgers owner Mark Walter or general manager Andrew Friedman leave their current roles in the organization.
- Major League Baseball is introducing a new showcase for top prospects called the Spring Breakout in which the top prospects from one organization will play a game against another organization’s top prospects during spring training.
- Rumor has it the Dodgers and Rays are discussing a deal that would send right-hander Tyler Glasnow and outfielder Manuel Margot to Los Angeles in exchange for young right-hander Ryan Pepiot and young outfielder Jonny DeLuca. The deal is not finalized, however, and the Rays continue to talk to other clubs about Glasnow.
- The Dodgers are operating on multiple fronts in their pursuit for starting pitching, recently meeting with Yoshinobu Yamamoto with a packed recruiting team that included Mookie Betts, Freddie Freeman, Will Smith, and even Ohtani.
- None of this strikes me as particularly surprising, but I’m sure Hawaii and Alaska will be wearing Dodger blue soon.