Good morning everyone! The offseason continues to stall as we await the major decisions from Shohei Ohtani and Yoshinobu Yamamoto, but let’s get you caught up on the latest news, rumors, and analysis.
In Mariners news...
- In case you didn’t already know...well, now we have a verified national reporter on the topic.
Echoing what Mike Tirico weirdly mentioned on the NBC NFL broadcast the other night: Someone with knowledge of Blake Snell's thinking recently told me he badly wants to pitch for his hometown Mariners. So take that for what it's worth.— Chris Cotillo (@ChrisCotillo) November 28, 2023
- We’ve got proof of Ty France at Driveline!
Welcoming Seattle Mariners 1st Baseman Ty France to the facility for his assessment, looking forward to a great off-season pic.twitter.com/0jxxW7Kvwm— Driveline Baseball (@DrivelineBB) November 28, 2023
Around the league...
- Liam Hendriks and Cody Bellinger were named the 2023 Comeback Players of the Year.
- The KBO’s LG Twins have agreed to post right-handed reliever Woo-suk Go, the brother-in-law to center fielder Jung-hoo Lee.
- With the Oakland A’s now officially leaving town, an independent ball club is rising in its place.
Introducing a new team for The Town— Oakland Ballers (@OaklandBallers) November 28, 2023
The Oakland Ballers ⚾️
Our team was ripped away from us. Now we’re stealing baseball for the people of Oakland.
Built by Oakland. For Oakland. Forever Oakland.#OaklandBallers pic.twitter.com/E8Wu4dNve9
- The Milwaukee Brewers are deep in discussions with top prospect Jackson Chourio on a contract of unprecedented length and overall value for a player who hasn’t made his MLB debut yet, per Ken Rosenthal at The Athletic. ($)
- Desperate for star power, the Giants are prioritizing Ohtani and Yamamoto this winter above all others. Though they might be keeping things closer to the vest than San Francisco, I have a feeling the Mariners are operating the same way.
- Jake Mintz at FOX Sports looks back at Ohtani’s first recruitment sweepstakes to gain a better understanding of how this year’s process may go.
- Despite ongoing rumors that the Blue Jays are in trade talks regarding Bo Bichette and Vlad Guerrero, Jr., GM Ross Atkins insists that the club plans to keep both young stars.
- The Mariners first-year area scout responsible for scouting Tai Peete has moved on to another organization. Best of luck, Terry!
Super Blessed and Extremely Excited To Announce That I Will Be Joining The Cincinnati Reds Player Development Department! ❤️ pic.twitter.com/Syg3sOxzDE— Terry McClure (@_TerryMcClure_) November 29, 2023
- In former Mariners news, right-handed starter Easton McGee has agreed to a minor league deal with the Brewers.
- In major non-baseball sports news, celebrity owner Mark Cuban has decided to sell his majority stake in the Dallas Mavericks.