Good morning everyone and welcome to the weekend! With the non-tender deadline passing yesterday, we’ve got a bunch of news to cover. Let’s get to it.
In Mariners news...
- Daniel Kramer reported yesterday that he has not heard any indications that the Mariners are in serious pursuit of Shohei Ohtani this winter. However, given that Ohtani made it clear he did not want his negotiations with teams to leak to the press, it’s unclear how much of this should be taken at face value.
- Connor Kelley at The Seattle Times wrote a scathing opinion piece in which he lambasted the Mariners’ ownership group for taking fans’ interest (and money) for granted.
- Prospects Worldwide unveiled their scouting report on rising stud Lazaro Montes.
- Happy belated birthday, Rick!
Happy Birthday to my friend, Rick Rizzs! pic.twitter.com/RN7LOIZRMz— Dave Sims (@TheDaveSimsShow) November 17, 2023
Around the league...
- A whole host of players are now free agents after their teams didn’t tender them contracts, including former Mariners Austin Nola, Trevor Gott, Kyle Lewis, and Dan Vogelbach. Notable players who were not tendered contracts include Brandon Woodruff and Austin Meadows.
- In other former Mariner news...
Source: 1B Robert Pérez Jr., 23, has signed a minor league deal w/ the San Diego Padres with a big league spring training invite. Pérez, Jr. is the son of Robert Pérez, a Venezuelan league legend whose nickname is El Hombre Historia. (The History Man.) Was in Sea org previously.— Britt Ghiroli (@Britt_Ghiroli) November 17, 2023
- Let the games begin.
Source: Pitcher Yoshinobu Yamamoto expected to be posted Monday. That means the 45-day negotiating window for MLB teams will start Tuesday.— Buster Olney (@Buster_ESPN) November 17, 2023
- The Rockies acquired right-hander Cal Quantrill from the Guardians. Quantrill was DFA’d earlier in the week.
- Former Mariners outfielder Jake Bauers was sent from the Yankees to the Brewers in a trade yesterday.
- The Royals acquired right-hander Nick Anderson from Atlanta.
- The Rays and Marlins completed a four-player swap, with infielder Vidal Bruján heading to Miami.
- Asher Dotel at Pitcher List chose one move that every team should make this winter (but definitely won’t). I will say, the Mariners one would be pretty cool.