Good morning, foLLks, and happy Saturday! It was a slow day in baseball yesterday due to the holiday, but there’s still some content to be had below.
In Mariners news:
- Ryan Bliss had just one hit in yesterday’s Arizona Fall League game, but it was a big one - a grand slam to help the Peoria Javelinas overcome a 9-0 deficit to win 12-9. They will play Surprise in the AFL Championship Game today at 5pm.
Ryan Bliss GRAND SLAM!! pic.twitter.com/AaHYHbDXRg— Mariners Minors (@MiLBMariners) November 11, 2023
- Lukewarm stove season? In any case, another addition to The Pile™ has been made.
Tyson Miller is usually a very good Triple-A reliever who can help in the big leagues if called upon. https://t.co/2nh8D1LEhI— Mike Curto (@CurtoWorld) November 11, 2023
- After 27 fantastic years at the Seattle Times, Larry Stone’s retirement is official. You can read his final column here.
Around the league:
- Daniel Álvarez-Montes reported that NL batting champ Luis Arráez is open to an extension with the Marlins, though no talks have taken place just yet.
- The Rays claimed longtime Tigers lefty Tyler Alexander off waivers.
- The Nationals solidified their coaching staff, adding Gerardo Parra and Chris Johnson to their corps. How many former Mariners can you name on the full slate?
- The Giants also made a couple additions to their coaching, bringing aboard Ryan Christenson and Pat Burrell as their bench coach and hitting coach, respectively.
- Despite a brutal 2023 and a lengthy injury history the past few seasons, free agent righty Luis Severino is drawing interest from as many as eight teams, per Brendan Kuty of the Athletic.
- The Sounders advanced in the MLS playoffs last night with a 1-0 victory over FC Dallas. Albert Rusnák was responsible for the only goal.
- Gotta wonder what the final straw was for the I Think You Should Leave creator.
for four years my best friend and i have been communicating exclusively via an Instagram groupchat with tim robinson and today he actually left— laura not lauren (@mslauramac) November 9, 2023
- What song do you think Elliott Smith was playing for Snoopy here?