In Mariners news...
- I really hope I’m not the one breaking this news to you, but the Seattle Mariners were eliminated from playoff contention last night. After the Astros-Diamondbacks score was finalized, Cal Raleigh wasn’t afraid to point out the difference between the 2023 Rangers and the 2023 Mariners, and the impact the trade deadline had on the team. And just in case you thought Cal was the only player voicing a sentiment around spending, check out what Corey Seager had to say in his postgame interview.
More Cal: “We've done a great job of growing some players here and within the farm system, but sometimes you’ve got to go out and you have to buy. That's just the name of the game.We'll see what happens this offseason. Hopefully we can add some players and become a better team.” https://t.co/KNwEZg4Wc2— Ryan Divish (@RyanDivish) October 1, 2023
- No matter the circumstances, I will never pass up an opportunity to post Dylan Moore making this kind of play. He just loves this type of play, and I love watching him do it.
sick catch alert ... Dylan Moore with a potentially game-saving grab to prevent the floodgates from opening in this one.— Daniel Kramer (@DKramer_) October 1, 2023
Distance covered: 40 ft.
Opportunity time: 3.0 seconds
Catch probability: 10%
Expected batting average: .930 pic.twitter.com/L9kQ8V5bOU
- Lazaro Montes was in attendance for last night’s game, and took a second to clarify what we all already knew.
Lazaro Montes, at the ballpark today as part of the minor-league awards ceremony, did not hesitate when asked which player he models his game after:— Adam Jude (@A_Jude) September 30, 2023
“Yordan Alvarez.” pic.twitter.com/BaVxVpOZmo
Around the league...
- The Baltimore Orioles won the AL East and will have a first round bye in the 2023 playoffs, which will give them a few days to figure out how they are going to handle the ninth inning since All-Star closer Félix Bautista will be undergoing Tommy John surgery.
- The Detroit Tigers gave Miguel Cabrera some of the sickest cleats I’ve ever seen.
The Tigers gave Miggy Jordan cleats made out of baseballs from milestone moments throughout his career pic.twitter.com/jcKl2o80D2— MLB Life (@MLBLife) September 30, 2023
- Also on the farewell tour is Adam Wainwright. While the Tigers stopped short of letting Miggy pitch an inning in his final games, the Cardinals did not hesitate to let Wainwright flip the script. The at-bat ended with a 102.1 mph groundout to second base.
- And that’s not even the most unorthodox thing Adam Wainwright did last night! That is, in fact Cardinals legend Adam Wainwright on the the stage, ready to perform a concert for the St. Louis faithful.
"I love you all so much, I'm so proud to be a St. Louis Cardinal for this long." - Adam Wainwright, country music singer. ❤️ pic.twitter.com/6uBlw3xhiw— St. Louis Cardinals (@Cardinals) October 1, 2023
- The Colorado Rockies and outfielder Charlie Blackmon have agreed to a one-year contract extension.
- Recently fired Giants manager Gabe Kapler took to Instagram to express his regrets and how much he already misses working with the people he came to know in the Giants organization.
Gabe Kapler on Instagram this morning: pic.twitter.com/uHXrYMINRJ— Susan Slusser (@susanslusser) September 30, 2023
- Make the playoffs, miss the playoffs, doesn’t matter. The New York Yankees will always find some incredibly dumb and unnecessary way to get into the baseball news cycle.
- This was me at least five different times yesterday afternoon, but only twice was it golf related.