Hello everyone and welcome to Thursday! The Mariners are enjoying a much-deserved day off today, so let’s get you caught up on what’s happening around baseball.
In Mariners news...
- I’m really quite ready for the Astros to start being bad soon.
meanwhile the Mariners were 13 games back of Houston on June 21 but have played at a .706 clip since then -- the 2nd-best record in MLB over that span behind only the Dodgers -- and are still 10 games back https://t.co/QFRfchITnN— Céspedes Family BBQ (@CespedesBBQ) September 7, 2022
- Cade Marlowe and Tyler Locklear appeared on this week’s version of the Baseball America Hot Sheet. ($)
- Enjoy this feature on the Mariners and their incredible season so far, with comments from Jerry Dipoto and Scott Servais.
- The Gonzales family has a wine label!
- Prelander Berroa’s fantastic August was honored by the Texas League.
Around the league...
- The MLBPA continues to strengthen, joining the likes of the NFLPA and the NWSLPA under the AFL-CIO umbrella.
The Major League Baseball Players Association has joined the AFL-CIO, executive director Tony Clark said.— Jeff Passan (@JeffPassan) September 7, 2022
AFL-CIO president Liz Shuler said the MLBPA is the 58th union to join the group.
- Amidst a lawsuit with Freddie Freeman’s agent Casey Close, Doug Gottlieb formally apologized for his reporting on the relationship between the player and his agent back in June.
- There’s a chance that Angels third baseman Anthony Rendon could return from the injured list before the season comes to a close.
- Jeff Passan and David Schoenfield inducted several players into the official status of “stardom” for their 2022 performances.
- Top Rangers prospect Josh Jung will be called up tomorrow to make his MLB debut.