Good morning everyone and happy Saturday! Here’s the latest from around baseball.
In Mariners news...
- Eno Sarris at The Athletic wrote about George Kirby’s new slider in his latest piece. ($)
Around the league...
- In a surprising decision, Major League Baseball has decided to voluntarily recognize the minor leaguers’ joining the MLBPA.
- MLB also officially announced the rule changes that we all knew were coming, despite protest from the MLBPA.
- Rocco Baldelli doing his best to save baseball.
Rocco Baldelli on asking the umpire to check James Karinchak for sticky substances:— Aaron Gleeman (@AaronGleeman) September 10, 2022
"I have an obligation to our players and to our team to do what I think is right."
Baldelli's full quotes: pic.twitter.com/VYlBbvUF3I
- Are you kidding me?
Nick Castellanos does not miss pic.twitter.com/FaURy2PpkS— Phillies Muse (@Phillies_Muse) September 8, 2022
- What do you think should be done with the AL MVP?
- Tony La Russa’s decision to shove Andrew Vaughn into the outfield is singlehandedly ruining his value.
Andrew Vaughn has a 123 wRC+ and 0.1 WAR. You want to know the last time a qualified hitter had a 123 wRC+ or higher and 0.1 or less WAR?— Michael Kenny (@michael_kennyjr) September 9, 2022
Never. It's literally never happened before.
- Sam Blum at The Athletic told the story of Scott Spezio’s journey of self-discovery after losing his kids due to substance abuse after he retired. ($)
- It appears that everyone loves Dae-Ho.
For Lee Dae-ho's final at bat in Daegu, both Samsung and Lotte fans serenaded 'Big Boy' with his cheering songpic.twitter.com/rBCfV8fAHt— Dan Kurtz (@MyKBO) September 9, 2022
- Longtime Mariners farmhand Luis Liberto will soon make his MLB debut, as he has been called up by the Padres.
- Brendan McKay will undergo Tommy John surgery. The Rays left-hander has already had surgery for a shoulder issue and for thoracic outlet syndrome.
- Stay classy, Yankees fans.
- Edwin Jackson has officially announced his retirement from Major League Baseball.