Everyone say happy birthday to my mom, angel of light and love. Her present is not having to watch the Seattle Mariners on her birthday.
In Mariners news:
- The Mariners played a pretty, pretty bad game yesterday, which maybe you knew. I did, because I had to recap it, which I did here.
- One of Seattle’s rookies got a pretty special shoutout from one of the game’s greats.
- Luis Torrens took Father’s Day as an opportunity to announce he’s going to be a daddy himself. Congratulations LT.
Around the league:
- Yordan Álvarez has a minor hand injury and missed Sunday’s game, but Dusty Baker is hopeful he’ll be able to return after the Astros’ day off today.
- J.J. Matijevic got the start in place of the injured Álvarez and was part of a historic day:
Jerar Encarnación, Óscar González, Buddy Kennedy & J.J. Matijevic each hit 1st career HR today— Sarah Langs (@SlangsOnSports) June 20, 2022
That's tied for the 3rd-most 1st career HR hit on a single day
It's the most since 6/24/17: Matt Olson, Jaycob Brugman, Franklin Barreto, Ben Lively (1st 3 in same game off same P!)
- Also Pirates rookie Jack Suwinski had himself a pretty memorable day, as well:
- Some more exciting prospect news for the Pirates, who have already called up pitching prospect Roasny Contreras and shortstop Liover Peguero; they’re also calling up to prospect Oneil Cruz, as well as a personal favorite of mine, Bligh Madris. BlighGuys assemble!
- Manny Machado left yesterday’s Padres game with a sprained ankle; x-rays were negative.
- If you missed this yesterday, a really incredible story about former Mariner Nestor Cortes’s dad and his journey to the US from Cuba.
- Missed Father’s Day? Just want to get a gift for yourself? MLB TV is 50% off until 11:59 PM ET tonight (so 8:59 PM Pacific time). Use it to find your new favorite team who aren’t the Mariners.
Kate’s pick (really Grant’s pick):
If you’re into this kind of thing, Homefield Apparel just launched a new line of WSU apparel. Grant describes their clothes as “impossibly comfy.”