Hey folks and welcome to Thursday! Today is a major off-day for Major League Baseball with only a handful of teams playing in preparation for the weekend. Here’s some news to keep you occupied.
In Mariners news...
- In case you missed it, the Mariners dealt infielder Donovan Walton to the Giants in exchange for minor league right-hander Prelander Berroa.
- Congratulations to Veronica for becoming the first Latina General Manager in Minor League Baseball history!
- Jordan Shusterman at FOX Sports wrote about the journey Ty France has taken to this breakout performance.
- The Mariners have set their rotation for the weekend series in New York.
Mariners re-slotting the rotation with the off day pic.twitter.com/MbxihzzBKl— Ryan Divish (@RyanDivish) May 11, 2022
- Larry Stone at The Seattle Times makes the case that the M’s should have done more in free agency this winter.
Around the league...
- Not all minor league teams are confident they can meet the new facilities requirements, reports J.J. Cooper at Baseball America.
- Brittany Ghiroli at The Athletic told the story of Guardians prospect Frank Lopez, who went from being presumably on his death bed to continuing his baseball career in earnest. ($)
- This takes some serious guts.
- The COVID outbreaks are back...
For the first time in 2022 a game was postponed for COVID reasons. MLB: Following multiple positive COVID-19 tests within the Guardians org, their game v. the White Sox has been postponed to allow for continued testing and contact tracing.— Joel Sherman (@Joelsherman1) May 11, 2022
- Matthew Roberson at the New York Daily News wrote about the smoke and mirrors behind this year’s Angels team.
- The Rangers are adding a pair of players to their Hall of Fame.
- What a strange statistical quirk!
Christian Yelich with his third career cycle -- all against the Reds— C. Trent Rosecrans (@ctrent) May 11, 2022
- It’s really awesome that these actors are finally seeing people appreciate their films, but it’s unfortunate it took this long for it to happen.