Hello everyone! This morning we got some depressing news that the Mariners’ opener will be delayed because the Twins can’t be bothered to put a roof over their stadium.
Our #OpeningDay game has been postponed to Friday. The game and festivities timeline: Breakfast on the Plaza from 6 to 9am, gates open at 1pm, and first pitch at 3:10pm.— Minnesota Twins (@Twins) April 6, 2022
Tickets will automatically be transferred to Friday’s rescheduled game. More info: https://t.co/WsP1VwQVVm pic.twitter.com/XFIohxLOjQ
So, we wait another day. But at least today is the final day before regular season baseball begins. So here’s what you need to know.
In Mariners news...
- Luis Torrens can do it all.
- Larry Stone at The Seattle Times proclaimed that this is the year the Mariners will end their playoff drought.
- Sal, we hardly knew ye.
- Matt Brash was added to the Fangraphs top 100 prospect list in their latest update.
Around the league...
- The Royals announced that Bobby Witt, Jr. has made their MLB roster. It’s going to be a big year for rookies with Witt, Julio, Spencer Torkelson, Hunter Greene, and several others starting in the show this season.
- The Astros are keeping one of their top relievers around for the next two years.
- Oh, maybe Major League Baseball will learn how to market a star player this year!
- Longtime infielder Todd Frazier has decided to call it a career.
- Brewers catcher Pedro Severino will be suspended for 80 games after testing positive for PEDs.
- The Reds have cut ties with outfielder Shogo Akiyama, sacrificing the $8 million he was owed for this year.
- The Rays have reportedly agreed to a two-year extension with outfielder Manuel Margot. Given that they dealt Austin Meadows yesterday, I guess they now have space for all of their other outfielders.
- The Tigers signed Spencer Turnbull to a two-year deal to avoid arbitration.
- Dayn Perry at CBS Sports listed the top 100 players in the majors for 2022.
- Similarly, the staff at The Athletic broke down the league’s top 125 hitters by tiers. ($)
- Whoa, that’s awesome!
So!— Sam Dykstra (@SamDykstraMiLB) April 6, 2022
Good news: Since the PCL is transitioning to the ABS system, Statcast data from those games is public on Baseball Savant.
Round Rock-El Paso is here: https://t.co/jbHLNd9qD7 pic.twitter.com/NdK6YXrhhN
- Honestly, Gollum was living the dream.
Gollum had a pretty sweet setup for a while. Cave where no one bothers him. Cool item to look at in his cave— Good Take Jake (@FORM_DESTROYER) April 5, 2022