Good morning! Mariners baseball is back today with a 3:40 pm start time against the Tampa Bay Rays. Logan Gilbert takes the mound as he looks to pick up right where he left off from his scoreless six-inning outing last week.
In Mariners news...
- After being named AL Co-Player of the Week from his outstanding performance this past week, the Ty France hype train just continues.
- The Mariners have jumped up into the number ten spot in this week’s MLB power rankings!
- Daniel Kramer at MLB.com highlights the Mariners’ unique approach to the DH, which has proven to be a key part of their 2022 success thus far.
- Luis Torrens has been reinstated from the COVID-IL and is back with the team to face the Tampa Bay Rays today, with infielder Mike Ford DFA’d in a corresponding move.
Around the league...
- So clean.
- San Francisco Giants OF Joc Pederson silencing hecklers with one swing of the bat:
- Rob Arthur at Baseball Prospectus examines this year’s baseball and why home runs have decreased in the past few seasons. ($)
- Veteran reliever Oliver Perez has been DFA’d by the Arizona Diamondbacks in order to bring the team’s roster to 39 after a series of reinstatements.
- FanDuel has expanded its partnership with the New York Yankees to become their first official sports betting partner.
- Boston Red Sox pitchers Tanner Houck and Kutter Crawford have been placed on the restricted list for the team’s series against the Toronto Blue Jays this week due to both players being unvaccinated, and therefore ineligible to play in Canada. Two minor league pitchers have been called up from the Red Sox’s Triple-A affiliate to fill the roster spots.