Hello everyone and happy last day of March! Today was meant to be Opening Day for Major League Baseball, but no matter. We are instead just a week out from the start of the 2022 season. Here’s the latest from around the sport.
In Mariners news...
- Either the Mariners bandwagon is growing, or there are a lot of M’s fans who voted on this poll. Also, I can’t believe they included J.P. Crawford twice on this image instead of including either of the team’s two best hitters from last season.
- Happy to hear that Evan White had a successful surgery! Let’s hope we see him on the field again soon.
Evan White had successful surgery to repair a sports hernia. His timeline to return is TBD— Ryan Divish (@RyanDivish) March 30, 2022
- Julio Rodríguez spoke to Sam Dykstra about the upcoming 2022 season and what his experience at the Olympics was like.
Around the league...
- This video is wild but the concept is cool.
MLB introduces Home Run Derby X — a new global bracket-style competition feat. legends from four of the most prestigious teams in baseball.— The Athletic MLB (@TheAthleticMLB) March 30, 2022
Red Sox, Yankees, Dodgers & Cubs will compete in a tournament featuring intense rules & a different field.
- I mentioned yesterday that many people were confounded by the Pirates’ decision to send down top prospect Oneil Cruz. Jason Mackey at the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette analyzed the move from a Pittsburgh lens.
- You can’t stop the hot stove!
- I don’t quite buy the notion that it was their decision to halt contract talks until he was healthy. But it’s Scott Boras’ job to do PR for his clients.
Free-agent outfielder Michael Conforto landed “irregularly” on his right (throwing) shoulder diving for a ball during a workout in January, and wanted to get back to 100 percent before resuming contract negotiations with clubs, according to his agent, Scott Boras.— Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) March 31, 2022
- Joe Trezza told the story of Christie Wood, the video scout for the MLB Draft who has been working in the field for over two decades.
- Anthony Castrovince listed the most underrated player at every position in the sport.
- Despite the fact that the Reds are in rebuild mode, they’re not gaming the service time of their top pitching prospect.
Welcome to The Show, Hunter Greene!— Cincinnati Reds (@Reds) March 30, 2022
The Reds' 2017 first-round pick and current No. 1 prospect is scheduled to start and make his major league debut Sunday, April 10 in Atlanta. pic.twitter.com/6yllTK9lZw
- Speaking of the Reds, this former Mariner’s tenure with them was short-lived.
The #Reds have cut Jake Bauers from major league camp.— MLB News Network ® (@newsnetworkmlb) March 30, 2022
- The Red Sox announced that they now have the first carbon-neutral fan experience in the big leagues.
- The Padres are reportedly entertaining the idea of dealing from their depth of starting pitching and catching.
- I can’t tell what’s funnier: the drawing itself or the fact that the child wrote it like an Italian would say it.