Well, that was rough. There are, however, lots of positives to focus on as Zach highlighted in his recap. Looking ahead, the Mariners prepare for Game 2 on Thursday with Luis Castillo on the mound to face lefty Framber Valez, with another 12:37 pm start time.
In Mariners news...
- Let’s remember some of the good from yesterday’s game, starting with JP:
John Power Crawford pic.twitter.com/4Vzn6XeGAy— Seattle Mariners (@Mariners) October 11, 2022
- And another dominant outing from Logan Gilbert!
Crazy. Logan Gilbert threw a different curveball today than he had all year. I guess maybe he debuted it late in September. Two ticks slower, six inches more drop. Had five of his best six starts with it by Stuff+ in late August and September. I think he's got another level. pic.twitter.com/V3RbxczSfX— Eno Sarris (@enosarris) October 11, 2022
In playoff news...
- The Philadelphia Phillies took NLDS Game 1 against the Atlanta Braves in exciting fashion with a 7-6 win, after forcing starter Max Freid out of the game early and eating into Atlanta’s bullpen.
- The Los Angeles Dodgers won Game 1 of their NLDS matchup with a score of 5-3 against the San Diego Padres, with some help from early runs and reliable defense.
- Gerrit Cole led the New York Yankees to a 4-1 win over the Cleveland Guardians to record his first home playoff win for the team.
Around the league...
- DJ LeMahieu has been left off of the New York Yankees’ ALDS roster due to a foot fracture, but has not yet been ruled out if the Yankees advance.
- RHP Scott Effross has also been excluded from the Yankees’ ALDS roster after learning he will require Tommy John surgery, a huge blow to New York’s bullpen.
- Former Los Angeles Angels’ communications director Eric Kay has been sentenced to 22 years in prison for his role in the overdose death of pitcher Tyler Skaggs.
- Eight-time All-Star RHP Craig Kimbrel has not been included in the Los Angeles Dodgers’ NLDS roster due to worries of consistency in late innings.
- Houston Astros’ reliever Phil Maton is out for the rest of the postseason after he broke his finger punching a locker in the Astros’ last regular season game.
- The Phillies are also missing a reliever due to a bizarre injury as David Robertson injured himself celebrating Bryce Harper’s home run in the team’s last Wild Card game.