Hello everyone and happy Thursday! Here are the latest updates from the sport of baseball, which you may have forgotten exists.
In Mariners news...
- Famous rapper Daddy Yankee was almost a Mariners farmhand? Who knows, but that’s what he’s telling people, anyway.
Around the league...
- The MLB Players’ Association is reportedly planning to submit a new CBA proposal to the league within the next couple of days.
- Baseball America has a list of the average exit velocities and fastball velocities for each of the top 100 prospects.
- Similarly the BA top 100 prospects chat features some more in-depth insight on the players listed (and not listed) on this year’s top 100.
- The Space Cowboys already have their new logo.
BREAKING: Formerly the Skeeters, Houston Astros Triple A Team is Now the Sugar Land Space Cowboys pic.twitter.com/Pq38tXnBTY— Space Lawyer (@rrossjd) January 19, 2022
- Russell A. Carleton at Baseball Prospectus explored the possibility of expanded playoffs and how the league should implement it. ($)
- The Red Sox have hired Katie Krall as a development coach for their Double-A affiliate in Portland, making Boston the first organization with two women in coaching roles.
- Another former Mariner has landed a minor league managerial gig.
#BREAKING The coaching staff for the Yard Goats 2022 season has been announced, watch out Double-A Northeast League we’re comin’ for ya— Hartford Yard Goats (@GoYardGoats) January 19, 2022
Next, world domination. #NoGoatsNoGlory
- Outside the Lines did a special segment on the complicated Hall of Fame candidacy of Alex Rodriguez, which we’re likely to be talking about for the next decade.
- The Athletic posted the results of their fan survey on attitudes towards the lockout. ($)