Good morning everybody and happy Thursday! Let’s go get this sweep today! And some links, of course.
In Mariners news...
- The MLB Pipeline crew discussed Harry Ford’s entry into the top 100 list of prospects on their latest podcast.
- Daniel Kramer checked back in on a conversation he had preseason with Marco Gonzales and J.P. Crawford, now in the context of a team that made an unlikely run to the playoffs.
Around the league...
- Melanie Newman and Jessica Mendoza will anchor the first-ever all-female broadcast team for an ESPN broadcast of Major League Baseball on September 29th.
- Stephen Nesbitt at The Athletic told the tragic story of Sang Han Baek, a Korean-born pitcher for George Mason who died before he could live out his dream of playing in the big leagues.
- Mike Zunino is quietly enjoying his best offensive season to date, writes Ben Clemens at Fangraphs.
- The Reds have shockingly decided to DFA Mike Moustakas.
The #Reds today placed on the 10-day injured list, retro to Tuesday, IF Mike Moustakas and designated for assignment RHP R.J. Alaniz. The Reds have selected from Triple-A Louisville the contract of RHP Dauri Moreta.— Cincinnati Reds (@Reds) September 22, 2021
- Stephanie Apstein at Sports Illustrated profiled Joey Votto and his resurgent campaign.
- Our good friend Matthew Roberson wrote about Aaron Judge’s impact on the Yankees’ late surge for his latest piece at The New York Daily News.
- Baseball America selected a prospect for each team that has raised their stock since the season began. Matt Brash made the list for Seattle.
- The Mariners will have to face Shohei Ohtani on the mound one final time this season.
The #Angels have scheduled Shohei Ohtani’s next start for Sunday, which is the final home game.— Jeff Fletcher (@JeffFletcherOCR) September 22, 2021
- Johnny Bench personally congratulated Sal Pérez for breaking his record.
“I’m so proud of you for what you’ve done.”@JohnnyBench_5 congratulating @SalvadorPerez15 for hitting 46 home runs, now the most in a season by a primary catcher, is so wholesome. pic.twitter.com/GXBl7UKlWy— Kansas City Royals (@Royals) September 22, 2021
- Joe Maddon expressed frustration with the Angels’ current roster construction and demanded that the organization upgrade the team this winter.