Good morning everybody! Here’s what’s happening around baseball on this Wednesday as the M’s try to secure the series victory against the A’s.
In Mariners news...
- They’ve got to bring him back to give him a shot at the postseason.
Kyle Seager on staying in the postseason hunt:— Daniel Kramer (@DKramer_) September 21, 2021
“We all want to play for something bigger than ourselves, and me especially. These are uncharted waters that I haven't been able to experience very often, so I'm definitely soaking it up.”
- Greg Bishop at Sports Illustrated spoke to Jerry Dipoto for a story about the M’s rebuild and how this time may be different from previous attempts to build a winning team.
Around the league...
- The Cardinals went from a forgotten squad to a likely postseason team.
Cardinals' playoff odds: 80.2%— Sarah Langs (@SlangsOnSports) September 21, 2021
They were at 2.8% on Sept. 7! pic.twitter.com/DREB3spWBo
- Ken Rosenthal at The Athletic opines that this year’s muddled playoff picture is an argument against expanding the number of postseason teams permanently. ($)
- Remember former big leaguer Lew Ford? The 45-year-old outfielder has been spending the last decade hanging out on Long Island with an Atlantic League squad.
- Carlos Collazo at Baseball America highlights a baker’s dozen of players who have gotten off to hot starts since being drafted this season. Both Collin Davis and Corey Rosier are mentioned. ($)
- The Padres are shaking things up in the middle of a disappointing campaign.
Significant change is underway for the Padres. President A.J. Preller yesterday informed Sam Geaney, the farm director since October 2014, that his contract won't be renewed. Geaney's departure is effective immediately.— Dennis Lin (@dennistlin) September 21, 2021
- The Netherlands captured the European Baseball Championship in unlikely fashion.