In Mariners news...
- Mariners’ minors coach Michael Fransoso soaking it all up after his first season with the team.
Year 1 in the coaching books. These guys made it fun to come to work everyday and they put up with my malo Spanglish! Although there was no postseason to play for these guys showed up to win everyday. 40-18! That’s mucho wins! People+Process pic.twitter.com/0yrESoC4KL— Michael Fransoso (@M_Fransoso) September 19, 2021
- Congrats to the Tacoma Rainiers on their Triple-A West Championship!
- A solid last outing for George Kirby to wrap up his 2021 Travelers season.
- And Sam Carlson as well for the Modesto Nuts!
Outstanding final start for Sam Carlson. Final line: 5.2IP, 4H, 1R, 2BB, 9K, 95-61.— Mariners Minors (@MiLBMariners) September 19, 2021
Very happy for Sam finishing the season matching his career high in strikeouts. One of the more durable starters in the system after not pitching in a game since 2017.
- Jeff Passan at ESPN makes a case for why the Mariners should pursue Max Scherzer this off-season.
Around the league...
- Adrian Beltre really is living his best life.
Adrian Beltré in his retirement era…I dare you to find me someone living a better best life pic.twitter.com/kTJzbSQ6fg— sarah (@slwein) September 18, 2021
- Lorenzo Cain with a late submission for catch of the year?!
- A heated conversation took place in-between innings last night with Fernando Tatis Jr. and Manny Machado.
- The Milwaukee Brewers become the latest team to clinch a playoff berth with their 6-4 win over the Cubs as they head to their fourth straight postseason.
- Chris Cwik at Yahoo Sports profiles MLB’s authentication department and the process of ensuring authenticity in game-used equipment.
- Chicago White Sox pitcher Mike Wright and manger Tony La Russa have both been suspended after Wright intentionally threw a pitch at Shohei Ohtani.
- Drew Maggi, a minor leaguer with the Minnesota Twins, has finally been called up to the majors after waiting 11 years.