Good morning everyone! Let’s get to the latest on this Friday.
In Mariners news...
- The Mariners officially announced that they will be hosting the All-Star Game in 2023.
In July 2023, baseball’s brightest stars will shine during an unforgettable week in Seattle. pic.twitter.com/8K9jZFpspC— Seattle Mariners (@Mariners) September 16, 2021
- This is...not good.
Rehabilitating Mariner Justin Dunn leaves the game with the trainer after just four pitches tonight. Clearly didn't feel right.— Mike Curto (@CurtoWorld) September 17, 2021
Around the league...
- Craig Kimbrel made this kid’s day.
- Mike Petriello dives into the profiles of six hitters who have re-written the narrative with a strong second half performance (including Abraham Toro).
- Shohei Ohtani might be shut down (as a pitcher) for the rest of the season after feeling soreness while playing catch.
- Eno Sarris at The Athletic investigated why local craft breweries aren’t a stronger force inside of Major League ballparks. ($)
- These two squads might just play 161 games this season.
Atlanta and the #Rockies are rained out with no common day off the rest of the season. The game likely will be made up on the day after the regular season on Oct. 4 only if needed to decide the NL East race.— Bob Nightengale (@BNightengale) September 16, 2021
- This is really, really sad.
NEW: MLB owners are worth billions of dollars, but minor league baseball players make just $7/hour, many sleep on the floor in crowded apartments, and they're denied adequate meals.— More Perfect Union (@MorePerfectUS) September 16, 2021
The horrific treatment has lead to substance abuse & severe depression for some minor leaguers. pic.twitter.com/8RfhgRwTHT
- With his 45th homer of the season yesterday, Salvador Pérez tied Johnny Bench’s record for the most home runs in a year by a catcher.
- For those of you who live in King County, it was announced yesterday that starting Oct. 25, people will be required to show proof of vaccination or a negative COVID test within the last 72 hours to attend any indoor event or dining venue as well as any outdoor event with more than 500 people attending.