An exciting win against the Red Sox, highlighted by a dominant Logan Gilbert performance and Mitch Haniger go-ahead home run, brings the Mariners within two games of a wild card spot. Second game of the series tonight at 7:10. Let’s do this.
In Mariners news...
- The ACL Mariners are having fun, to say the least.
the ACL Mariners are currently playing a crazy game against the Cubs in which Harry Ford homered earlier and Edwin Arroyo just hit a go-ahead HR and I just got sent this video from *right after* Arroyo hit the HR— Jordan Shusterman (@j_shusterman_) September 14, 2021
LOOK AT THE BAT!!!!!!! pic.twitter.com/wJC29pHQFg
- This team!!
JP Crawford in his walkoff interview on the atmosphere,— Shannon Drayer (@shannondrayer) September 14, 2021
"I forgot today was Monday, I thought today was a weekend. Heck tonight, it was really lit out here, it was dope! We're in the hunt! Come on, #Mariners fans, let's go!"
Reminder, 8 home games remaining, let's go!
- Can our 2021 Seattle Mariners ride this unique season all the way to a wild card spot? Jordan Shusterman at Fox Sports MLB details the origins of this wacky season, his Mariners fandom, and hopes for the remainder of the season.
- Baseball America’s last Top 100 rankings update of the season is here, and multiple Mariners have moved up positions or become new additions to the list. Most notable is RHP Matt Brash, who has entered the list at No. 100. For another look at how the Mariners’ prospects rank, check out John’s write-up here.
Around the league...
- What a play by Kiermaier!
- The San Francisco Giants become the first MLB team to clinch a postseason berth with a 9-1 win over the Padres. This marks the earliest that the Giants have clinched a playoff spot in franchise history, by calendar date.
- After struggling for months at shortstop, the Yankees have finally moved Gleyber Torres to second base with three weeks left in the season. Manager Aaron Boone hopes that the move will take some pressure off of Torres and lead to some defensive improvement.
- Houston Astros rookie outfielder Jose Siri makes history in his MLB debut, going 4-5 and becoming the the first player to have at least five RBIs and two home runs in his first MLB start.
- The Padres have added another member of their starting rotation to the injured list as they place Chris Paddack on the 10-day IL with elbow discomfort.
- This game was insane.