Happy beginning of the week and also, urghhhh. Football on Sunday plus some rainy-gloomy weather and the Mariners losing a winnable and important series against the worst team in the NL all signal that it’s (sigh) time for fall. Let’s get you some links to ease that case of the Mondays.
In Mariners news:
Around the League:
- Max Scherzer almost had a perfect game yesterday, and truly, if anyone was to unseat Félix, this would have been an excellent one, as Scherzer also tossed an immaculate inning and hit the 3K strikeout mark in the Dodgers’ 8-0 win over the Padres. I know Scherzer is baseball-old, but also, I would be in favor of the Mariners paying him all the money in the world, payable to the dog rescue organization of Max Scherzer’s choice, for like, just a couple years of Mad Max.
- While everyone is sweating Ohtani for the AL MVP, let’s not look past Vladimir Guerrero Jr., whose 44th HR on Sunday pushed him into a tie for the HR lead with Ohtani; he also leads MLB in AVG and is third in RBI.
- The Red Sox have added yet another player to the COVID-IL: one-time Mariner RHRP Phillips Valdez.
- Speaking of former Mariners, the Phillies have designated RHP Enyel De Los Santos while reinstating brother-of-a-former-Mariner C Andrew Knapp.
- Cleveland’s Shane Bieber is reportedly soon to head out on rehab assignments after a lengthy stint on the IL for a shoulder strain.
- Aaron Judge left the final game of the Yankees-Mets Subway Series with “dizziness,” per reports. Eat a banana, AJ! That game also featured a benches-clearing...not-brawl, idk, I guess these two teams feel like they have to get chippy? The Mets thought the Yankees were whistling to steal signs, I don’t know, you can go read about it if you feel like getting embroiled in the drama.
- BTW, the new “Todd Frazier is from Toms River” is “Joey Gallo took Greg Maddux’s daughter to prom,” pass it on, except please, seriously, do not.