Good morning everybody and happy Friday! Let’s get to the latest from around baseball.
In Mariners news...
- Justin Choi at Fangraphs takes a deep dive into the strange situational statistics of the 2021 Seattle Mariners.
- Dillon Thomas, who was designated for assignment, has cleared waivers and been outrighted to Tacoma.
- Eastern Washington/Northern Idaho M’s fans: get your tickets if you want to see Justus pitch in Spokane.
Injury update for the Mariners: Justus Sheffield continues to build up arm strength and volume. He's penciled in to start for Everett Sunday— Jen Mueller (@JenTalksSports) August 5, 2021
- Connor Phillips had an amazing start for Modesto yesterday.
Dominating start by Connor Phillips. Final line: 6IP, 2H, 0R, 0BB, 12K, 85 pitches, 62 strikes.— Mariners Minors (@MiLBMariners) August 6, 2021
- You may not have noticed, but saves are getting blown with higher frequency as the years go by. Chet Gutwein at Fangraphs has the story.
Around the league...
- Progressive Field will be sticking around for the foreseeable future.
The Indians/Guardians and the city of Cleveland have struck an agreement on a 15-year extension of the Progressive Field lease. The deal also includes options for 10 additional years.— Zack Meisel (@ZackMeisel) August 5, 2021
- Jim Margalus notes that perhaps gambling and baseball shouldn’t mix to the degree that they do.
- These are some pretty sweet-looking jerseys.
- Kiley McDaniel at ESPN dropped his midseason list of the top 50 prospects in baseball. ($)
- The Last Remaining National wants to remind you that he’s still good.