Hello everyone! The M’s begin a crucial series with the Yankees today, as I’m sure you’re well aware of if you’re reading this. Anyway, here’s the other stuff you should know but might not otherwise.
In Mariners news...
- Cade Marlowe has gotten off to a hot start since being recently promoted to Everett.
- Here’s some context on just how good Abraham Toro has been for the Mariners.
Probably meaningless, but w/his hit and walk today, Abraham Toro is now at 1.0 fWAR since he was acquired by the Mariners in the Kendall Graveman trade.— Joe Doyle (@JoeDoyleMiLB) August 4, 2021
He's quite literally been the most valuable player in baseball.
1) Toro (1.0)
2) Bryce Harper (0.9)
3) George Springer (0.9) https://t.co/Kyg3C5qaSQ
- The Mariners announced their 2022 schedule yesterday. Mark your calendars, fellow out-of-town M’s fans!
Around the league...
- Somehow I have missed that the Tigers have been on fire for almost two months. Big 2020 Mariners vibes here for an up-and-coming team.
The @Tigers are 26-18 since June 14, following last night’s win over Boston. Detroit has a better record than every AL team except Houston and Seattle over that span. @MLBNetwork @971theticketxyt @BallySportsDET— Jon Morosi (@jonmorosi) August 4, 2021
- Veteran left-hander Cole Hamels has agreed to a deal with the Dodgers that keeps him under contract until the end of this season.
- Tess Taruskin at Fangraphs checks in with the MLB prospects playing in the Olympics.
- Well, the Angels’ streak of bad luck continues.
Angels third baseman Anthony Rendon is undergoing surgery to repair a right hip impingement. He is out for the season.— Robert Murray (@ByRobertMurray) August 4, 2021
- The United States defeated the Dominican Republic to advance to the semifinals in the Olympics. Depending on when you’re reading this, the U.S. is either currently playing South Korea in that semifinal game or has played them already.
- John Griffin at Pinstripe Alley makes the case for the Yankees extending both Joey Gallo and Aaron Judge.
- Jake Mailhot at Fangraphs notes that Willy Adames is benefitting majorly from a change of scenery, but perhaps not in the way that you think.
- The A’s have agreed to a minor league deal with Khris Davis, so if you see him in the A’s lineup when the M’s play Oakland in the next two months and go, “Huh????” now you know why.
- This should be more accurately listed as “Isabelle’s pick” because she bullied me into including this. Enjoy!