Good morning everyone! We’ve got an off day in Mariners-land, but here are some links for you on this Monday.
In Mariners news...
- It’s cool to see how genuinely happy the guys are for Yusei.
The moment Yusei found out he’ll be repping the squad in Denver ⭐️ pic.twitter.com/SFZldEfPwD— Seattle Mariners (@Mariners) July 4, 2021
Around the league…
- In case you missed it, Major League Baseball dropped its full All-Star Game rosters.
- Former Mariners catcher Welington Castillo has decided to retire.
- Chad Jennings at The Athletic tells an oral history of Izzy Alcantara’s kicking a catcher’s face in a minor league game 20 years ago. ($)
- Travis Sawchik at The Score makes the case for MLB realignment. I feel like this is pretty much inevitable with likely expansion within the next decade.
- Shawn McFarland explores the story of Yale pitcher Rohan Handa, who went from a soft-tosser to an explosive fireballer who is expected to be drafted this month.
- Dan Vogelbach was celebrating the Fourth in style.
- A massive blow to one of the game’s top prospects.
Rough news here: CJ Abrams, perhaps the Padres' best prospect and MLB Pipeline's No. 8 overall, was diagnosed with a fractured left tibia and a sprained MCL after his collision at second base in the ninth inning on Wednesday. He will miss the remainder of the season.— AJ Cassavell (@AJCassavell) July 4, 2021
- The Blue Jays still face some hurdles before they hopefully can return to Toronto.
Toronto FC is aiming to host its July 17 home game at BMO Field. The Blue Jays, meanwhile, are awaiting word from federal govt on proposal for July 30 Rogers Centre return, having already secured municipal and provincial approvals: https://t.co/fLt90zTC8Y— Shi Davidi (@ShiDavidi) July 5, 2021
- Ty Kelly and Danny Valencia will suit up for Team Israel.