Good morning everyone and happy Friday! The trade deadline is today, with all trades needing to be finalized by 1 PM PST. With that in mind, let’s get to all of the craziness that went down yesterday.
In Mariners news...
- Congratulations to Kaden, who takes the spot in Arkansas previously occupied by Austin Shenton.
- Ken Griffey, Jr. continues to be involved in the sport, this time in an official capacity.
The Baseball Hall of Fame has announced Ken Griffey Jr., Tom Glavine and Craig Biggio have been elected to the board of directors.— Shannon Drayer (@shannondrayer) July 29, 2021
- We’ve got a very vague quote from Jerry Dipoto on whether or not to expect more moves today.
Jerry Dipoto: "We're not intentionally done. If we're done it's just because we weren't able to get anything across (the finish line), but we do have other things going."— Curtis Crabtree (@Curtis_Crabtree) July 29, 2021
- This is one place where the Mariners are still active in discussions.
The #Twins discussing José Berríos with multiple teams today. An agreement on players is not yet close. The #Padres are among the most serious suitors. The #Mariners have checked in, as well. @MLB @MLBNetwork— Jon Morosi (@jonmorosi) July 30, 2021
- This is another chapter in a pretty unfortunate story for the left-hander this year.
Mariners pitcher Héctor Santiago has received an 80-game suspension without pay effective immediately after testing positive for exogenous Testosterone, a performance-enhancing substance in violation of MLB’s Joint Drug Prevention and Treatment Program.— Mark Feinsand (@Feinsand) July 30, 2021
Around the league...
- The Dodgers and Padres continue their space race. After it was rumored that San Diego was closing in on a deal for Max Scherzer, it’s the Dodgers who ended up acquiring both Scherzer and Trea Turner for a massive prospect haul.
- The Dodgers also traded for yet another starting pitcher: Royals left-hander Danny Duffy.
- The Yankees added yet another big bopper to their lineup in a deal for longtime Cubs first baseman Anthony Rizzo.
- San Diego went home with a consolation package, trading for Nats reliever Daniel Hudson.
- The Toronto Blue Jays also upgraded their bullpen with Nationals left-hander Brad Hand.
- The Nationals are fully tearing it down, as they dealt Kyle Schwarber to the Red Sox.
- We saw a rare intra-division trade between Cleveland and Chicago, with the White Sox acquiring second baseman César Hernández.
- The White Sox also made a move to improve their ‘pen by trading for Cubs’ right-hander Ryan Tepera.
- This comment always reads to me like an admission from the player that they are unvaccinated.
Listening to the full Aaron Judge postgame interview concerning his return from COVID.— Bradford William Davis (@BWDBWDBWD) July 29, 2021
One person -- I think it was Erik Boland -- asked Judge if he had been vaccinated. Judge said, "I don't want to get into that," and nobody else brought up the topic again. That was a mistake.
- Well, uhh...alright then.
In a release, the @baseballhall announces its Board of Directors unanimously rejected Curt Schilling's request to be removed from the Hall of Fame ballot in his 10th and final year on the ballot.— C. Trent Rosecrans (@ctrent) July 29, 2021
- Cleveland manager Terry Francona is stepping away for the rest of the season while he deals with some medical issues. Here’s to hoping he’s able to recover quickly!
- Congrats to Suni!
Sunisa Lee of the USA is the first Hmong American Olympian (& now champion). She’s also the first Asian woman of any nationality to win the all-around, and continued America’s streak of all-around golds: 5 in a row. #Tokyo2020 @reuterspictures pic.twitter.com/k7zJxz8dmL— Lindsey Wasson (@lindseywasson) July 29, 2021