Good morning everybody! The trade madness continues as we get this Wednesday going.
In Mariners news...
- Harry Ford was in the house for last night’s game.
- Meanwhile in Tokyo...
Here's Mariners prospect Julio Rodríguez recording the first hit of the Olympic games in 13 years. pic.twitter.com/JEIshkRRqQ— Lookout Landing (@LookoutLanding) July 28, 2021
- The Mariners named Catie Griggs as the new President of Business Operations for the organiation.
- The Mariners are front and center on the cover of the next Baseball America magazine issue.
A sneak preview of the August cover of @BaseballAmerica— Matt Eddy (@MattEddyBA) July 27, 2021
It's RHPs George Kirby and Emerson Hancock of the rising @Mariners farm system
This has been a hectic July that has included the Futures Game, the draft, midseason prospect updates for all 30 clubs and the trade deadline pic.twitter.com/kn3zLewW6N
- Ben Clemens at Fangraphs tried to make sense of the Kendall Graveman trade.
Around the league...
- Jeff Passan dug into the latest deadline rumors in his most recent piece for ESPN. ($)
- Eric Hosmer, who is a potential trade candidate this week, can block a trade to Seattle.
Eric Hosmer has a limited, 10-team no-trade clause for 2021. The teams he can block, per source: BAL, CLE, DET, MIL, OAK, PIT, SF, SEA, STL, TOR. Story from yesterday with @dennistlin on Hosmer trade being among Padres’ possible options: https://t.co/eH14zOmchQ— Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) July 27, 2021
- Stephen Strasburg simply cannot catch a break.
Stephen Strasburg will undergo surgery tomorrow for neurogenic thoracic outlet syndrome, according to Dave Martinez. Strasburg’s season is over and the hope is that he’ll be ready for spring training next February.— Jesse Dougherty (@dougherty_jesse) July 27, 2021
- It doesn’t sound like Max Scherzer will be coming to Seattle.
These are the 8 teams known to be in on Max Scherzer, via multiple sources:— Jayson Stark (@jaysonst) July 27, 2021
Also heard Yankees checked in & were told he was unlikely to OK a trade there. Mets could be a long shot for the same reason.
- The Yankees made a trade that confused many fans, but also might just be a way to clear roster and salary space.