Good morning everyone! I hope you enjoyed last night’s craziness. I did not, for I live on the east coast and I went to sleep when they were down 6-0. Pour one out for my fellow non-west coasters and our daily struggle. Anywho, here are the links you came for.
In Mariners news...
- Oh man, I love this song.
Dusty Baker summed up the most damning indictment of the Astros bullpen.— Chandler Rome (@Chandler_Rome) July 27, 2021
“The guys they were sending up there were all sub-.200 hitters. We walked the guy that’s hitting .100, .102.”
Baker tried to give answers, but the Astros need action - https://t.co/G7aE0wOYrW
- Over at Baseball Prospectus, Zach DeLoach and Victor Labrada both made the Monday Morning Ten Pack with our very own John Trupin contributing. ($)
- Corey Brock at The Athletic coordinated with the Royals’ beat writer to try to put together a trade package for Whit Merrifield. ($)
- Congratulations to Braden, who I should note is currently killing it in Triple-A for the Giants.
Former Frog @bradenbishop7 (2015) was awarded the 2020 Al Clausen Community Service Award for his charity, 4MOM, to help in the battle against Alzheimer’s disease. The AquaSox wanted to support his efforts with a donation of $1000.https://t.co/GlxUTzmaWs.#GoFrogs@AquaSoxGM pic.twitter.com/g4gtLm1U72— Everett AquaSox (@EverettAquaSox) July 26, 2021
- The M’s continue to add from the UDFA market.
The Seattle Mariners have signed Nova Southeastern University RHP JP Williams as an UDFA. Williams, 23 tomorrow, is a 6-foot-3, 210-pound drop-&-drive arm, 88-91, touching 93. High-70s slider primary swing-and-miss pitch. Profiles as a reliever. A little Paul Sewald in him. pic.twitter.com/onaLxbqgP2— Joe Doyle (@JoeDoyleMiLB) July 26, 2021
Around the league...
- The White Sox got a massive reinforcement in the form of outfielder Eloy Jiménez, who is back from the injured list.
- Baseball America made a major update to its top 100 prospects list. The M’s now have three of the top 10 and four of the top 14.
- Ken Rosenthal at The Athletic notes that the Padres are expected to surpass the luxury tax threshold for the first time. The team is looking to unload Eric Hosmer to make room. ($)
- This must be really tough for Angels fans. Imagine if Jarred Kelenic and Julio Rodríguez turned out to be generational stars but the Mariners just kept losing. Can’t even imagine what their decision process must be like right now.
Angels trying to decide course. Could move Cobb/Heaney and still try to compete by promoting Detmers/Rodriguez. Trade of Iglesias would signal deeper concession. Trout still not healthy, and team mostly just bullies poor clubs - 23-8 vs. those below .500, 26-41 vs. .500 or above.— Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) July 26, 2021
- Just a reminder that the Mariners are going to have to fend off the teams behind them in the Wild Card standings too, as the Yankees acquired right-handed reliever Clay Holmes from the Pirates yesterday.
- The A’s also bolstered their bullpen with a trade for left-hander Andrew Chafin of the Cubs.
- The Phillies keep on rolling!