Good morning everybody! It’s party time in Seattle with the M’s coming off a huge series win over the A’s. Let’s keep the good vibes going as we kick off this Monday with some links.
In Mariners news...
- With the Mariners reportedly in the mix for Whit Merrifield, it appears the squad was also in on another big-name trade target. Ultimately, Frazier wound up with the Padres in a four-player deal yesterday.
Mariners also made offer for Adam Frazier and did not ask Pirates to put cash in deal, sources tell @TheAthletic. Pirates sent $1.4M to Padres in part because they value Marcano highly. If he evolves into Frazier type, Pirates get six years of him for 1-plus of Frazier.— Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) July 25, 2021
Around the league...
- Gary Phillips at The New York Times caught up with Edwin Jackson, who finds himself on yet another new team: The U.S.A. Tokyo Olympic Team.
- That’s not a half-bad looking swing from Russ!
- Perhaps a new Rockies GM would feel differently this coming offseason.
Rockies should have a good sale with Trevor Story, Jon Gray, Mychal Givens and others available, but the Rockies are telling teams that German Marquez isn’t going anywhere.— Jon Heyman (@JonHeyman) July 25, 2021
- We probably won’t be seeing Mike Trout return to action anytime soon as the stud outfielder continues to waste valuable time in his prime on the injured list.
Maddon said Trout is still feeling something in his calf. He's scheduled for a regular appointment with the doctor on Monday, so they'll have more of a timeline after that.— Jeff Fletcher (@JeffFletcherOCR) July 25, 2021
"There's something that he feels. It's not awful. We're waiting to hear from the doctor."
- The Pirates are reportedly expected to deal left-hander Tyler Anderson in the coming week. As a pending free agent, he’s unlikely to be a prime target for the Mariners.
- Byron Buxton could be on the move this week as well, but it’s also possible the Twins hang onto him until the offseason considering he isn’t a free agent until after 2022.
Byron Buxton has rejected a contract extension from the Twins, sources tell me and @DanHayesMLB. Story coming.— Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) July 25, 2021
- Everyone out here thirsting over Jose Ramirez can chill out for a second.