Hello folks! Happy Friday! Here’s to hoping the M’s can get back into the win column tonight agains the A’s. Until then, here are some links for you.
In Mariners news...
- This man is something else.
Per Servais: Hector Santiago threw a sim game vs. a high school team and pitched well, according to Santiago.— Ryan Divish (@RyanDivish) July 22, 2021
- I hope everyone had the over in this one.
- Kyle Lewis is making some much-needed progress (yes, that is a typo in the tweet).
Kyle Lewis is going to start hitting off a teet and taking soft toss in the next few days.— Ryan Divish (@RyanDivish) July 22, 2021
- Jim Callis answers a bunch of questions regarding recent draft selections, including whether or not Harry Ford should stick at catcher.
- Brendan Gawlowski at Fangraphs has some comments on Zach DeLoach in his latest prospect notes.
- The M’s have officially inked their top three draft picks.
The Mariners have agreed to terms with their top three Draft picks, according to a source:— Daniel Kramer (@DKramer_) July 22, 2021
• C/OF Harry Ford: $ 4,366,400 (full slot)
• SS Edwin Arroyo: $1.65M (slot is $ 1,543,600)
• RHP Michael Morales: $1.5M (slot is $ 733,100)@JonathanMayo was all over it.
Around the league...
- The Tampa Bay Rays made the deadline’s first splash by acquiring Nelson Cruz for 2+ months from the Twins for a pair of top-30 organizational prospects.
- Executives around baseball are reportedly unhappy that Major League Baseball has crammed so many important events into the month of July.
- Ray Ratto at Defector breaks down the complicated situation between the A’s and the city of Oakland.
- Pirates recent draft selection Bubba Chandler claims he is going to try to make it as a two-way star. You have to wonder if, without Shohei Ohtani’s existence, Chandler wouldn’t have been so easy to pry away from football.
- So it sounds like Yermín Mercedes didn’t retire.
White Sox say Yermin Mercedes is in uniform with Charlotte Knights in Durham and on the active roster for tonight.— Daryl Van Schouwen (@CST_soxvan) July 22, 2021
- Conditions within the Angels organization are less than ideal.
This season, Los Angeles Angels Minor Leaguers have given us the following disturbing statements regarding housing. pic.twitter.com/tbOVH37HnA— Advocates for Minor Leaguers (@MiLBAdvocates) July 22, 2021
- The Royals are reportedly exploring trades for star infielder Whit Merrifield.
- Cleveland has announced that it will rebrand to the Guardians.