Good morning everybody and happy Wednesday! Let’s get you some links as the M’s prepare to go for the two-game sweep today.
In Mariners news...
- The Mariners officially announced signings for 15 out of 20 of their MLB draft picks in addition to a pair of undrafted free agents. At this point we also expect the team’s first three picks to agree to deals in the near future.
- Joe’s got a scouting report on one of those undrafted free agent signings.
The Mariners UDFA signing Peyton Alford (Virginia Tech) is interesting. 4S FB (88-91/T94) w/ride, heavy usage. Works in a loopy CB in the mid 70s and a CH v. RHH. Repeats well. Natural feel for tunneling. Some optimization here. Lots of s/m. Fits multiple role profiles. pic.twitter.com/0kAB3SjQLn— Joe Doyle (@JoeDoyleMiLB) July 21, 2021
Around the league...
- Robert Murray at FanSided has the latest in leaguewide trade rumors, including notes on what the Mariners plan to do at the deadline.
- Jeff Passan at ESPN lays out the latest news and notes as we approach the MLB trade deadline. ($)
- Remember former Mariners bullpen arm Joe Beimel? The Padres just agreed to a deal with the 44-year-old lefty as he hopes to revive his big league career.
- One of the two pitchers who no-hit the Mariners this season will undergo Tommy John surgery.
Spencer Turnbull will undergo Tommy John surgery, A.J. Hinch announced. Tests revealed chronic damage in his elbow. Typical timetable for return is 12-18 months.— Jason Beck (@beckjason) July 20, 2021
- The A’s remain unhappy about their present situation even though the City Council approved a new ballpark term sheet.