Good morning everyone and happy Friday! Here’s the latest from around baseball.
In Mariners news...
- People are getting understandably excited over this quote from Jerry Dipoto yesterday. Whether you choose to believe it or not is up to you.
Jerry Dipoto says he sees the Mariners spending this offseason. This was when asked about Toronto spending big on George Springer among others this past offseason. "When it's time and you know where you're at, you shoot your bullets."— Brandon Gustafson (@TheBGustafson) July 1, 2021
- Robert Pérez got the MiLB main account shoutout.
Around the league...
- A restraining order filed against Trevor Bauer reveals new details on the alleged assault (obvious trigger warning here as there are details contained within the article).
- Despite the pending investigation against Bauer, Dave Roberts and the Dodgers plan to allow him to take the mound on Sunday. Ken Rosenthal at The Athletic says this decision is unacceptable. ($)
- Major League Baseball revealed the position player starters for this year’s All-Star Game. Vlad Guerrero, Jr. became the youngest player ever to lead the game in overall votes.
- Minor League Baseball playoffs will reportedly make their return this season, an unexpected late change in plans after they had initially decided to cancel them for the year.
- The Yankees traded for Diamondbacks outfielder Tim Locastro to bolster their squad.
- Cue Yakety Sax.
- Todd Peterson at Baseball-Reference explains why the decision was made to include Negro League statistics among their site’s MLB stats.
- Brian Cashman confirms that the Yankees have no plans to be sellers at the trade deadline.
- Sara Sanchez at Fangraphs wonders what’s behind the power surge for Kyle Schwarber.
- The A’s probably won’t be in on the Trevor Story sweepstakes this summer.
- The Angels are moving Dylan Bundy to the bullpen following his recent struggles.