Good morning everyone! With the first day of the draft concluded and the All-Star Break upon us, here is everything you need to know to get your Monday started.
In Mariners news...
- This is an absolutely gorgeous swing.
- You need to read this heartwarming story about how Julio Rodríguez, Sr. surprised his son at the Futures Game.
- Harry Ford is all ready to sign and get started in the M’s system.
The Mariners have an agreement with Harry Ford. The deal will be exactly slot.— Joe Doyle (@JoeDoyleMiLB) July 12, 2021
Around the league...
- In case you missed it, get caught up on the first day’s worth of draft picks while we prepare for the second round to get started today at 10am PT.
- Former Mariners prospect Pablo López broke an MLB record by striking out nine consecutive batters to start yesterday’s game. Perhaps even stranger was that he threw another three innings after this without striking out anyone.
A NEW MLB RECORD!— MLB (@MLB) July 11, 2021
Pablo López strikes out the first 9 batters to start the game! pic.twitter.com/sY6BZlMkIx
- Ben Lindbergh at The Ringer penned the Shohei Ohtani origin story, explaining how he became this two-way sensation in the first place.
- A potential mass shooting at the All-Star Game was stopped this weekend when a hotel employee discovered weapons in a room.
- Boston has agreed to a contract extension with one of its best relievers.