In Mariners News...
- The Seattle Mariners are set to host a Salute to the Negro Leagues celebration on June 19th, and will pay tribute to the Seattle Steelheads and the legacy of the Negro Leagues.
We are proud to host Salute to the Negro Leagues: A Juneteenth Celebration, taking place on June 19th at @TMobilePark.— Seattle Mariners (@Mariners) June 7, 2021
Join us as we pay tribute to the Seattle Steelheads, who played their first game this month 75 years ago, and honor the legacy and impact of the Negro Leagues. pic.twitter.com/kQGNbDWgRW
- In an anticipated series of roster moves, Jarred Kelenic has been optioned to Triple-A Tacoma, Shed Long has been reinstated from the 60-day IL after completing his rehab assignment, and Sam Haggerty has been transferred to the 60-day IL with right shoulder inflammation.
- Mariners infield prospect Kaden Polcovich has been named High-A West Player of the Week. He finished the Everett AquaSox’s five-game series against the Hillsboro Hops with five home runs, eight RBIs, and a .409 batting average.
- Congrats to the Mariners production team for their Emmy Award for the Sports for Kyle Lewis: Writing My Own Story!
Around the League...
- Check out Listen to the Bigs, a new podcast series featuring MLB players coming soon:
.@MLB players like you've never heard them before.— MLB (@MLB) June 7, 2021
Listen to The Bigs, a podcast hosted by @Xavier_Scruggs, starting June 16 featuring conversations with @TimAnderson7, @Jack9Flaherty, @TreyMancini and more. pic.twitter.com/U35D4Ppug6
- After posting an ERA of just under 10 in nine games for the Los Angeles Angles, RHP Hunter Strickland has been DFA’d. In a corresponding move, reliever James Hoyt has been recalled.
- The Philadelphia Phillies have removed struggling infielder/outfielder Scott Kingery from the 40-man roster and outrighted him to Triple-A Leigh Valley after his return from the IL.
- Tyler Zombro, a pitcher for the Tampa Bay Rays’ Triple-A affiliate, is recovering from brain surgery after being hit in the face by a line drive. He is now out of the ICU, and doctors are optimistic about his condition as he continues his recovery process.
- The Kansas City Royals have DFA’d RHP Jake Newberry, which officially created space on the 40-man roster for pitching prospect Jackson Kowar, who made his MLB debut yesterday.