Hello folks and welcome to Thursday! Here’s the latest from around baseball.
In Mariners news...
- Julio had not one, but two homers yesterday for the Dominican Republic in their qualifier victory yesterday. Here’s video of both.
- John Stanton says some interesting stuff here, including predictions of making the playoffs either this year (delusional) or next year (spending required!)
- Larry Stone at The Seattle Times joins the crowd of people calling for the Mariners to hang on to Mitch Haniger.
Noelvi Marte Inside-The-Park HR! pic.twitter.com/HzuPn7TiNU— Mariners Minors (@MiLBMariners) June 3, 2021
Around the league...
very ownformer LL’er Matthew Roberson wrote about Marcus Stroman and being Black in baseball over at the New York Daily News.
- Joel Sherman says Major League Baseball needs to step in to stop the foreign substance crisis, likening it to the steroid times.
- The...what the hell?
The NFL says it will halt the use of “race-norming” — which assumed Black players started out with lower cognitive functioning — in a $1 billion settlement of brain injury claims. The practice had made it harder for Black players to qualify.https://t.co/OQpzSD88xM— The Associated Press (@AP) June 2, 2021
- This is a super fun doubles team.