Goooooood morning! Did you enjoy the game last night? I sure did! It’s my sainted mother’s birthday today, so I’m hoping the Mariners have one more thrilling win in them, or hey, even a low-stress win. Any old win will do. It’s one sweep, Michael, what can it cost?
In Mariners news:
- Upsetting news about Justin Dunn, who will be out for two weeks at least and probably longer, although Divish reports there’s no structural damage to be repaired in his ailing shoulder.
- Minor-league promotions are starting to trickle in, with the earliest movers in the system being college performers who weren’t given aggressive assignments initially; joining Cade Marlowe on the ride up I-5 from Modesto to Everett is RHP Taylor Dollard. Dollard has been overpowering in the former Cal League, striking out over 35% of batters faced. and his FIP is almost a full run lower than his ERA, which is still a respectable 3.35. AquaSox fans, you will enjoy Dollard, who is instantly recognizable with his shock of white-blonde hair streaming out of his cap, and has a big personality to go along with his big strikeout numbers.
Around the league:
- The worst team in baseball in 2021 just got a little worst-er; Diamondbacks catcher Carson Kelly has fractured his wrist after being hit by a Walker Buehler pitch in last night’s game. At this point just bundle Daulton Varsho up in bubble wrap and hang a “gone fishin’” sign on Chase Field.
- Speaking of injuries, there is “no timetable” for Alex Bregman’s return to the Astros.
- More injuries: Phillies OF Matt Joyce is headed to the IL with a back strain, so Matt Vierling, or Matty V, or “Staff writer and Notre Dame alum Tim’s favorite player until Niko Kavadas makes it to the bigs”, is getting called up. C Rafael Marchan is also getting called up, but had the misfortune of not attending Notre Dame for college. Brother of former Mariners farmhand Aaron Knapp, catcher Andrew Knapp, is also headed to the concussion IL.
- I find benches clearing in baseball generally hilarious, but that hilarity is dialed up to eleventyteen here: Vlad Jr. picking up Freddy Galvis like a toy that just came off the line at Build-a-Bear.
Vladdy Jr absolutely manhandling Freddy Galvis after the benches cleared in the Blue Jays vs Orioles game pic.twitter.com/67QKZMjP9l— carter (@jtfakemuto) June 19, 2021
This is actually staff writer emeritus and basketball fan Matthew’s pick, but I’m so glad I took the time to watch this ESPN spot about Boban Marajanović. While Boban was talking I was strongly reminded of Julio Rodríguez in his positive attitude and joyful, friendly spirit. I’m sure Julio would rather be compared to his idol LeBron but the moniker “big friendly giant” certainly applies to both J-Rod and Boban (Bo-Mar?).