This Saturday, a mixed bag of links for your perusal.
In Mariners news...
- The Seattle Mariners agreed to a minor league deal with INF Alen Hanson, who previously was with the organization in 2019.
- Promotion season continues in the minors, as LHP Brandon Williamson’s utter dominance of High-A Everett rightfully earned him a bump up to Double-A Arkansas.
- Less excitingly, the AquaSox appear set to be without another promising righty for some time, as RHP Isaiah Campbell appears to be sidelined with arm surgery.
This is a post from 2 days ago. Mariners RHP prospect Isaiah Campbell appears to have had surgery on his right arm. No clue as to the procedure, but something to monitor. pic.twitter.com/5QBbfpv1bo— Joe Doyle (@JoeDoyleMiLB) June 18, 2021
- Julio Rodríguez is down in Mexico, playing for the Dominican Republic in Olympic Qualifiers once again this week. The Mariners put out a sleek profile video for him on his journey thus far.
- The Mariners ushers and management fell under scrutiny once again yesterday after a viral video of a local journalist and current Senior Producer at Vice News being harangued emerged from last night’s game.
This Mariners manager is now offering me 1 free ticket to a Mariners game, free fries, and a promise to fire his lowest paid employee as a scapegoat. Bullshit. This is a systemic issue @Mariners. It starts from the top and this suit is proving it. https://t.co/AHV0yEsODV pic.twitter.com/pRr23IMuUf— Dae (@daeshikjr) June 19, 2021
Around the league...
- The Home Run Derby, held in Coors Field this year, will feature Shohei Ohtani.
- It likely will NOT feature Aaron Judge, however, who told a certain hard-working reporter he was uninterested at the moment in chasing another Derby title unless the All-Star Game was held in New York.
- Over at ESPN+ ($) Kiley McDaniel revealed his second crack at a mock draft, three weeks out from the real deal. He suggested OF Sal Frelick out of Boston College, who Joe wrote up here.
- Rob Arthur at Baseball Prospectus ($) has tracked the data behind many of the hot topics in the game over the past several years. His most recent article looks at the recent drops in spin rate among many pitchers, and how there seems to also be a gain in flight distance for balls in the air. In essence, have sticky stuff users also been gaining the benefit of suppressing contact?
- Bill Shaikin of the L.A. Times revisited the infamous Chris Taylor trade with an interview of Zach Lee, who is still grinding away in Triple-A in hopes of figuring it out.
- I’m attempting to imagine the Seattle equivalent of this. J.P. Crawford’s face stamped on every Dick’s burger bun?
The Orioles are putting a unique twist on All-Star voting campaigns. With a little help from Dunkin’ Donuts. The Trey Mancini and The Cedric Mullins donuts. By the way, you won’t have to choose between these and a French Cruller. These were specially made for the Orioles. pic.twitter.com/fFuIyCPkp1— Dan Connolly (@danconnolly2016) June 18, 2021
- Oh... oh dear.
Check this shit out motherfucker [I slide one foot out from under me and fall on my ass, its not clear what kind of move I was trying to do] pic.twitter.com/J6P2jqff9C— Richard Staff (@RichardStaff) June 19, 2021
- This was... a journey.
I am coming to you live from a Brandon, Mississippi Waffle House. I, a total loser, came in last place in my fantasy football league. As punishment, I spend 24 hours in a Waffle House. Every waffle I eat shaves an hour off the clock. It’s 4:07 Central. pic.twitter.com/oRugzU7rQT— Lee Sanderlin (@LeeOSanderlin) June 17, 2021