Hello everyone and happy Thursday! Here’s what’s going on in baseball right now.
In Mariners news...
- Congratulations to the Negrón family!
On June 2, 2021 we were blessed with two healthy baby boys. Couldn’t be more excited!— Kristopher Negrón (@KNegs17) June 9, 2021
Gianni Nicola Negrón
Lorenzo David Negrón
They’re small but mighty and we can’t wait to bring them home from the NICU soon.
Around the league...
- Brittany Ghiroli at The Athletic says that Major League Baseball is to blame for the sticky substance problem. ($)
- The Rangers will be playing without their closer for the foreseeable future.
Rangers have placed RHP Ian Kennedy on the 10-day iL retroactive to June 6 with a mild left hamstring strain. RHP Spencer Patton has been selected from Triple-A Round Rock and will be in uniform today.— John Blake (@RangerBlake) June 9, 2021
BREAKING: @ASU_Baseball is set to hire former #SunDevils standout Willie Bloomquist as its next head coach, sources tell @d1baseball. An announcement should come by Friday.— Kendall Rogers (@KendallRogers) June 9, 2021
Bloomquist spent the last six seasons as the Special Assistant to @Dbacks CEO.#ForksUp pic.twitter.com/Tu9IvVMXwh
- Oh boy, the conspiracies are flying now.
Pete Alonso said he does not like that MLB is cracking down on pitchers using illegal sticky substances: "I don't care what they use."— Tim Healey (@timbhealey) June 9, 2021
"The biggest concern is MLB manipulates the baseballs year in and year out depending on the free agency class," he said.
- Matt Monagan tells the story of Bo Jackson’s foray into the world of competitive diving, in which he stunned members of the Auburn University diving team.
- Ben Clemens at Fangraphs wrote about Tyler O’Neill, who has become the poster child of the Two True Outcome player.