Good morning folks! Happy Wednesday! Here’s the latest from around baseball.
In Mariners news...
- We’ve got some good news on the Yusei Kikuchi front.
Kikuchi played catch earlier today and Servais reports there were no issues.— Shannon Drayer (@shannondrayer) May 25, 2021
Around the league...
- Tavi at Dodger Yard wrote about the strange and difficult life of MLB umpires.
- Nature is healing.
- It’s pretty rare to see a player from the Bahamas in the majors, but Jazz Chisholm might lead a charge of many going forward, writes Christina De Nicola.
- Max Scherzer will not be stopped.
Spoke with a few people who graduated from Georgetown yesterday. Max Scherzer kept on his between-starts routine during the ceremony, meaning a lot of iPhone videos will have audible pops in the background. https://t.co/DBKo7NR0hU— Jesse Dougherty (@dougherty_jesse) May 25, 2021
- Craig Goldstein at Baseball Prospectus proposes some potential rule changes Major League Baseball could look into. ($)
- Glad to see Justin Smoak dominating in Japan.
The Giants' Justin Smoak is playing in his 19th game of the season, batting .328 and just hit his fifth homer of the year.— Jason Coskrey (@JCoskrey) May 25, 2021
Also the first interleague home run this year pic.twitter.com/icoMaUWLHt
- Major League Baseball will rather quietly see its two millionth run scored of all time this week, writes David Waldstein at the New York Times.
- It’s hard not to love the Twins.
- A whole ton of notable players hit the injured list yesterday, including Kyle Gibson (groin), Zach Plesac (thumb, from “aggressively ripping off his shirt”), and Bryce Harper (forearm). Meanwhile, Jazz Chisholm (ankle sprain), Corey Kluber (right shoulder) and Marcell Ozuna (dislocated finger) are now dealing with day-to-day injuries.
- Noah Syndergaard was pulled from yesterday’s rehab outing due to elbow soreness.
- The Mets are starting to deal from their farm system in order to patch up their injured roster.
#Brewers trade OF Billy McKinney to the New York Mets for 17-year-old LHP Pedro Quintana. McKinney had been DFA'd on Saturday.— Tom (@Haudricourt) May 26, 2021
- Twitter was abuzz yesterday when New Era leaked images for their new “Local Market” baseball caps. Levi Weaver and the staff at The Athletic break down each individual hat. ($)
- In journalism news, the New York Times is reportedly in discussions to purchase The Athletic.