Good morning everybody! We’ve got just one more day until Jarred Kelenic Day. Let’s hope the M’s are able to steal one from the Dodgers today. Until then, here’s the latest from around baseball.
In Mariners news...
- In advance of Kelenic’s upcoming MLB debut, Corey Brock at The Athletic recaps the outfielder’s journey to the big leagues. ($)
- Julio Rodríguez had a great day at the dish yesterday, going 3-for-4 and falling a triple shy of the cycle. Here’s video of his double.
Quite the Funko Field debut for AquaSox phenom Julio Rodriguez.— Cameron Van Til (@CameronVanTil) May 12, 2021
The No. 3-ranked prospect in baseball smacks the first pitch he sees into center field for a double. pic.twitter.com/zV5OLsT4py
Around the league...
- This is pretty disappointing.
Per source, the vaccinated sections of Citi Field are all of the worst seats in the stadium. pic.twitter.com/aVTb9ToAVO— Mark (@TooGooden17) May 11, 2021
- Congrats to Drew! What a moment for him.
- What a journey for this man.
The man on the left is Rinku Singh - former Pittsburgh Pirates pitching prospect. The movie "Million Dollar Arm" told his story. He's a WWE wrestler now who goes by the name "Veer" pic.twitter.com/tLn06RlnDC— Christopher Kamka (@ckamka) May 11, 2021
- Former Nationals and Tigers right-hander Jordan Zimmerman has decided to retire.
- Ken Rosenthal at The Athletic discussed how the rising league-wide pitching velocities coupled with declining league-wide command is leading to more impactful hit-by-pitch injuries. ($)
- Meanwhile, Rob Arthur at Baseball Prospectus says hitters are to blame for the rise in hit-by-pitches. ($)
- One of the top draft prospects will require TJ.
Source: Ole Miss RHP Gunnar Hoglund will need Tommy John surgery. He walked off the mound in the first inning of his last start.— Kiley McDaniel (@kileymcd) May 11, 2021
I projected him 8th in today’s mock but this development will probably move him into the 15-25 area in the next version https://t.co/TudGVq9FH7
- It would be great to see Albert Pujols one last time on the international stage.
Source: The Dominican Republic is interested in having Albert Pujols play for the national team at the upcoming @Tokyo2020 Olympic baseball qualifier in Florida. Pujols would be eligible now that he’s no longer on an @MLB 40-man roster. @MLBNetwork @NBCOlympicTalk @WBSC— Jon Morosi (@jonmorosi) May 11, 2021
- Jeff Passan reports that the Oakland A’s are going to start looking at relocating. It’s hard not to feel bad for fans in the bay area right now.
- Whoa, this is surprising.
- Five Yankees coaches tested positive for COVID-19. The Yankees decided to play their game on Tuesday regardless.
- The Yanks might not be the only ones dealing with a small outbreak.
Due to health and safety protocols, the #Padres placed SS Fernando Tatis Jr. and INF/OFs Jurickson Profar and Jorge Mateo on the injured list today. The club will announce corresponding roster moves prior to tonight’s game at COL.— San Diego Padres (@Padres) May 11, 2021
- Angels infielder Franklin Barreto is set to undergo Tommy John surgery.