Good morning everybody! The Mariners have yet another day game today, which is strange. Before that, heres’ what you need to know to get your day started.
In Mariners news...
- Brandon Gustafson at My Northwest provides some early takeaways from the opening week for Seattle.
Around the league...
- This is amazing.
Thank you TikTok for giving me exactly what I need on my FYP pic.twitter.com/IfokXXXUWu— Emma Baccellieri (@emmabaccellieri) April 8, 2021
- Joon Lee at ESPN wrote about unwritten rules and the changing culture of Major League Baseball.
- The A’s upcoming ballpark project might not be as eco-friendly as they’d lead you to believe, writes Steve Berman and Alex Coffey at The Athletic. ($)
- Eric Dadmun at Pitcher List tries to figure out who could be this year’s Devin Williams, in which he hypes up our boy Kendall Graveman.
- George Springer was set to return from a hamstring issue today, but had another injury flare up during his rehab process.
George Springer felt tightness in his right quad running bases yesterday after his live BP. When it didn’t abate, he underwent an MRI and #BlueJays are still gathering information, says Charlie Montoyo.— Shi Davidi (@ShiDavidi) April 7, 2021
- And another injured player will be delayed in his recovery process.
Soroka felt right shoulder discomfort while pitching at the alternate training site yesterday. There is no structural damage, but he'll be shut down for two weeks with right shoulder inflammation.— Mark Bowman (@mlbbowman) April 7, 2021
- Another team has crossed the vaccination threshold!
Good news. The Yankees have surpassed the 85% vaccine threshold for Tier 1 (players, coaches, some staff) employees.— Lindsey Adler (@lindseyadler) April 8, 2021
- He looks hilariously excited about this.
Joc Pederson hit his first Cubs HR and got a gift (some type of cookware?) in the dugout. pic.twitter.com/gxVklTdlt6— Andrew Simon (@AndrewSimonMLB) April 7, 2021
- Why is everyone good getting hurt?
Uh oh, Ketel Marte tweaked something running to first. He hops the rest of the way on one leg and then hits the grass.— Zach Buchanan (@ZHBuchanan) April 8, 2021
- The Big Four American sports leagues are now trying to encourage legislation that would allow gambling near sports stadiums, a massive shift in tone from their previous stances. Joe Vardon at The Athletic has the report. ($)
- RJ McDaniel at Fangraphs wrote about the early star turn for outfielder Akil Baddoo.